Chapter 5 Hurting

"You sure you want to learn?" Hermione asked as Draco seemed to be acting very different at the moment, but she didn't seem to question it.

  "Positive." Hermione pulled out her wand to demonstrate the spell.

  "Think of a happy memory. Not just anything, but one that's powerful enough to fill you up with happiness." She aimed her wand forward and waited till Draco did the same. "Expecto Patronum." Suddenly a purple otter came out of her wand, and the two of them watched as it bounced around the room. A lot like Hermione's personality. "Now that was a full corporeal patronus, which are quite hard to conjure, so don't be surprised if you don't get it the first time. Your patronus will stay the longer you stay focused, however, you can use it to send messages. That is something which is ten times more difficult and we're not even going to go down that road.

  Draco held his wand straight ahead of him. "Expecto Patronum." Nothing. "Expecto Patronum", he said a little bit louder. Still nothing. "EXPECTO PATRONUM!", he was now shouting and felt even more disappointed when nothing happened. "I can't do it, Hermione", he said sadly.

  "Did I just hear the Slytherin Prince give in?", she said as she tried to hit a nerve, but his frown remained on his face. "It's alright, Malfoy. A patronus is very hard to conjure."

  "No, that's not the problem. You said think of a happy memory. I can't seem to be able to find one." Hermione simply held out her hand.

  Two hours passed and Draco was able to produce a non-corporeal patronus. At least it was a start. "You'll get it next time." Suddenly the sound of footsteps silenced their conversation.

  "Hello guys", Theo said as he spun the key ring around his finger, and tossing them on the counter. The first thing he did was raise an eyebrow at Draco, who simply returned a glare.

  "So Draco, who's your friend?" He immediately wanted to hit Theo on the head very, very hard.

  "Theo, you know Hermione. She was in our year with the Weasel, and Potter." A smirk appeared on Theo's face and Hermione gave Draco a glare for the nicknames.

  "Oh yeah", he said as he pretended to forget about her. "You're the one who clocked him in the nose, and always beat him in grades." If looks could kill, Theo would be dead, and Draco would be off to Azkaban.

  She couldn't help but giggle at the two Slytherin idiots. "Trust me, he deserved it." She remembered that moment so well. She was very angry at that time, and shocked that she didn't hex him to oblivion.

  "I know."

  "You know, he is standing right here." Draco threw his arms up in defeat as the two of them were ganging up against him.

  "Granger, I was about to get dinner, and I think you should join us. Draco, you don't mind do you?" Both of them turned to see Draco's shocked face. A Gryffindor in a room full of Slytherins. What could possibly go wrong?

  "Of course not."

                                *     *     *

  "So, the four of you hang out together?", Hermione said as Pansy and Blaise joined them.

  "Everyday usually", said Pansy. "We'd rather hand out with each other than anyone else."

  "But why?"

  "Granger, I thought you were the brightest witch of our age? Do you not know the label the four of us have been stuck with? Not a lot of people like to befriend Death Eaters", said Theo.

  "But.. you're not death eaters anymore.."

  "Like that's going to change anything", Draco didn't even bother looking up from his food as he made input on the conversation.