Chapter 21 The Picture

Hermione opened the familiar apartment door the next morning, and immediately saw the person that she wanted to see. "We need to talk", said Hermione as she placed her jacket on the chair by the door. She sat down next to him and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Are you sure we're making the right decision?"

  "Are you having second thoughts?", asked Ron. The two of them had finally made up about a week ago, but not everything had changed.

  "I am." Ron sighed. "Ron, are you really happy in this life? How we're living right now? It's not healthy, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life waiting for you to change from who you are now."

  "I understand. I've told you that I'd go get help. We could go to therapy together. We could fix this." Ron stared at Hermione as he attempted to read her thought. The girl who he once loved wasn't there anymore. She had been replaced by a broken girl who didn't want to put up with this for the rest of her life. "It just isn't enough for you is it?"

  "You and I both know you don't mean that. It's never been like that! We've fallen out of love. There's no point in saving something that isn't there anymore."

   They were now at two different sides of the room. "What happened? What changed?", he asked with a frown. Hermione wasn't quite sure how to answer the question. "Who is it? Who's the guy who took your heart away from me?"

   Hermione thought about the many months with Draco. All the fighting, but quickly making up. All the fun stuff they did together, and the night that they made love to each other. Maybe there was something there that night, and maybe Draco felt it too. That night changed everything for the better. "I'm not sure right now, but I'll let you know when I find out."

   Hermione left his apartment shortly after they talked everything through. The two decided to be mature about it and stay friends. Harry was very happy about this, but Hermione stayed at her own apartment for the rest of the day. She needed time to think about everything that happened in the last few hours. She had just broken off her engagement with Ron after Draco had said that he loved her. Actually he said that he 'loves' her, meaning he still currently does.. Did she break up with Ron because of Draco? That was something she needed to think about right now.

   She threw herself down on the sofa. A hard object jabbed her in the tailbone the second her weight hit the cushion. She got up and saw that there was something stuck between the seat and backrest cushion. Hermione tugged on the object, and noticed that it was a muggle classic; Beauty and the Beast.

   She wondered how this got stuck in her sofa. She could've sworn that she never bought or received the book from anyone. She opened the cover and watched as a small card fell to the ground. She bent down to grab the card and saw that the words 'Happy Birthday, Granger' was scribbled on one side. So that's what occupied her for the rest of the day and night. Hermione stayed up and read the entire book from cover to cover, and when she reached the last page there was a note that she hadn't noticed before. The last line of the book was 'He learned to melt his cold heart, and she learned to see the good in even a beast.'

  'Our child would be like that. We've learned from our mistakes and we can teach it these things.'

   Hermione attempted to forget all about the rumor of her being pregnant the second she found out, and Hermione even had to deal with an hour long phone call from her mother. She had seen the information from the Daily Prophet. The Grangers subscribed to the Daily Prophet during Hermione's fourth year when Rita Skeeter had sent out some inaccurate articles about their daughter and her dating status. They figured to not believe everything that they say, but they only wanted their daughter to be safe. However, there was something about the whole rumor that bothered her, and it wasn't the fact that Rita Skeeter was the author of the article.