2

psychopath
——————————————————
"You're completely overreacting." I hissed, snatching my arm out of James' tight grip so I could start walking back to my dorm. I'd barely moved an inch before feeling five fingers dig into my shoulder, causing my body to swing back around. "Overreacting? You think I'm fucking overreacting?! What do you want me to think when I see my girlfriend laughing and flirting with some 'old friend'?" He made quotation marks in the air and his spiteful tone caused my stomach to twist.

"I'm not gonna sit around and let you control my life anymore. Whatever this is, it's done." I spat before continuing to walk back towards my dorm. This time, I didn't feel any arms grabbing at my shirt or somebody calling my name. All I felt was the vibration of my phone on my thigh, signalling I'd been sent a text.

jayjay : u sure u wanna do that?

jayjay sent you a photo

My head whipped back in James' direction, only to see him standing in the same spot with a smug look on his face.

jayjay : that's what i thought. it's done when i say it is.

Small tears threatened to roll down my cheeks as I ran back past the fountain and into the dormitory block. My hands kept shaking uncontrollably as I stuck the key in the lock and opened the door, allowing me to fall to the carpet. I couldn't believe I was being blackmailed into staying in this toxic relationship, it felt like some kind of shitty netflix movie. No matter how hard I tried to escape, James always managed to drag me back to him, ripping my mental health to shreds in the process.

*RING RING*

My body flinched violently as the cell phone on my carpet started ringing.

unknown number is calling you
[accept]        [decline]

A frown quickly spread across my face as I accepted the call and put it on speaker, my arms too lazy to hold the phone up to my ear. "Who is it?" I croaked between snivels. "James, I swear to God if-" A familiar, heart-warming voice filled the room, cutting me off. "Nessa, are you okay? It sounds like you've been crying.." I tried drying my tears with the sleeve of my shirt before continuing to speak. "I'm f..fine. Just a cold coming on." The sound of a loud sigh on Carl's end of the phone told me that I hadn't been particularly convincing but he didn't bother to push me any further.

"I don't understand how you can be with that psychopath. I watched him pull and prod you like some fucking pizza dough, what happened to that feisty Chicago girl that would've beat his ass for even looking at you funny?" He continued and anger quickly bubbled inside of me. "She's been locked away for long time. But you obviously wouldn't know that because you've been too busy in this little military world of yours!" I snapped, my voice getting louder with every word. "You know, trying to escape a relationship like this isn't as easy as you'd think. I can't just tell James I'm out because he'll find some way to make my life a fucking shit show!"

Another sigh followed my frustrated yells. "Okay, I get it. But Nessa, you can't just stay with him forever! What if he gets nasty again and hurts you, or worse, kills you? You know I could never just stand aside and watch somebody do that to my girl.." My heart fluttered at his last words, something it hadn't done in a very long time. "Look, if he touches you again, just please tell me, okay? I don't want anything happening to you." Carl said sternly. I nodded to myself before mumbling a quick 'mhm', to which he replied with "I'll leave you to it. Have a good night."

"You too Gallagher."

[end of chapter]

i'm so bad at editing books lmao