sixteen; bowling

"V, what are you doing?" Carl hissed as I dragged him to the side. We had been hanging out with Bonnie for the past 2 hours and it almost felt like I'd been third wheeling.

"Why is it that every fucking time I get close to you, something gets in the way of us? First it was Dominique and her fake pregnancy, then it was James and the abuse, but now Bonnie?" I dropped my arm and crossed it with the other against my chest.

Carl frowned and peered to where the short, blonde girl was standing, then he focused back on me. "So that's why your acting up? Because you don't want me hanging around with other girls? Please don't be that annoying jealous girlfriend."

I sarcastically chuckled. "Takes one to know one." His face dropped and I pushed past his shoulder until he grabbed my hand.

"Look, why don't we hang out then. Bowling and french fries?" He offered and I sighed, slowly giving in.

He sloppily put his arm around me and we walked back over to Bonnie. "Hey, we're heading out, will-" Carl started but was rudely interrupted.

"Ooooo, where are we going?" Bonnie asked and I shook my head at Carl. However, he must've not seen me because soon we were on our way to the bowling alley with an extra person.

Carl booked us a lane whilst we ordered some fries. It was silent until she finally spoke up. "So, Vanessa is it? How long have you known Carl?" Bonnie asked, clasping her hands together over the counter.

"Well, we went to the same school for ages and we dated a few times. Then he went to military school and somehow, we found each other again." I smiled to myself. "How do you know him?"

She cut her eyes towards the counter and thought for a second. "We met in detention years ago and I sort of took him under my wing. I remember one time we drove a car into some convenience store and robbed it of candy. They were the kinda things we'd do."

I frowned slightly. "What happened? Did he push you away or something?" She gulped and turned back to me.

"Well, it was the opposite actually. I pushed him away once I realised he was falling for me.." Her sentence trailed and I struggled to hear her but before I could question anything, Carl was behind us.

His hand slivered on my shoulder and we both looked up at him. "We're all set, lane 6." He took his remaining hand and gestured to one of the couches by a shelf of bowling balls.

I hopped off of the bar stool and excitedly skipped over, taking control of the points system. The others followed me with less enthusiasm as I'd shown, picking up a ball each.

"Before we start, just know that I don't know how to bowl." Bonnie said through gritted teeth and I discreetly rolled my eyes.

"It's okay," Carl replied. "Just watch and learn." This was my cue to approach the lane. I swung my arm back and released the ball, staring as it rolled towards the pins.

Four were knocked down so I tried again and managed to get 5 others. My mouth curled into a smile before I took a seat and started on the fries.

Carl had his turn next and, of course, scored the first Strike of the game. He'd always been the best. Bonnie attempted to knock something down but it just rolled down one of the gutters.

After a few rounds in, we got more competitive. I'd just scored my second Strike and Carl had only knocked down 6 pins. Bonnie stepped up but turned around to face us.

"Can you help me try it without the frame? I feel stupid.." She confessed and Carl walked up behind her.

"Sure." He whispered, placing both hands on her hips. Once she had the right posture, he started to guide her arms.

A pit of jealousy welled in my stomach and heat spread throughout my body. As soon as Carl's hand met hers and their bodies were barely 2 inches apart, I quietly got up and snuck off. Seeing them like that was becoming too much and I needed some air.

A member of staff was outside having a smoke break so I decided to pull out a cigarette too. It had been a while since I'd last felt the sensation of smoking and my mind switched between the many times on my roof.

During the 20 minutes I wasn't there, I pictured what they were doing in my head, and some of the ideas made me want to throw up. A door swung open and a deep sigh could be heard, followed by the sound of footsteps.

"For fuck sake V, what are you doing out here?" Carl said, leaning against the wall beside me.

-end of chapter;
There's no point me saying sorry because ya'll have heard it enough from me. I just haven't been motivated AT ALL to write or post because I'm stuck on the plot so comment or pm me any ideas you'd like to see/you have xx