twenty; pigs in blankets

-Vanessa's POV;
"Carl? Please tell me you're sleeping." I whispered, gently shaking his still body. If he was sleeping, small snorring sounds would be coming out of his mouth everytime he exhaled but their was nothing. That's what made me panic.

I pulled out a chair and sat by his bed, resting my head on the mattress. My hand was intertwined with his, placed by his side and we stayed there for a few minutes.

My hand moved but not because my brain told it too, there was another force. I looked up and saw that Carl was slowly opening his eyes. "Thank God, for a second I thought I'd lost you!" Without thinking, I flung my arms around him until his body squirmed and small groans escaped his lips. "Oops, sorry."

Once I had settled, Carl sat up. "Do you know what happened?" He asked, rubbing his head. I sighed and leaned forward so I could grab his hand again.

"There was a shooting. On campus. I didn't see anything but I heard gun shots. People were running everywhere. Then, I saw two bodies on the sidewalk. One blonde, one brunette. They looked just like you and Bonnie. There was blood too. I think Bonnie was shot." I stuttered and trembled whilst explaining the scene.

Tears welled in my eyes and Carl's face dropped. "Is she okay? Can I see her? I need to see her!" He demanded, jumping up from the bed. However, I could easily see his face, full of regret, once the pain kicked in.

I wrapped my fingers around his arm. pulling him back to the bed. "You're not going anywhere. I know your desperate to see her, but we have to wait."

"It could be days before she can have visitors! No, I'm going right now." Carl said, trying to release himself from my grip.

I shook my head. "No, I'll go." My voice was almost inaudible but from the way he turned back towards me, I could tell Carl heard every word. His face was full of surprise and confusion.

"I thought you-"

He was cut off. "Hate Bonnie? Well, how can I hate her when she saved your life! I'll go and talk to her, put the past behind us, and I'll have a good opportunity to apologise." I said softly.

"You'd do that?" He asked and I nodded. "Thanks V, what would I do without you?" He embraced me in a tight hug before I walked to the door.

Leaning against the doorframe, I said, "Bye Gallagher." A soft smile was spread across my face and gradually, Carl duplicated it.

"Bye Wilkes."

-the next day;
The hospital was quiet today. A few patients were sat in the waiting room, hissing at their kids or groaning about back pains.

I walked up to the front desk, putting on a smile for the woman. "Hello, how can I help you?" She said with a bored tone, like she'd had to have said it a million times.

"I'm here to see Bonnie Tyler, I think she was admitted yesterday." (I don't know Bonnie's real surname but in the UK version, her surname is Tyler) The woman grunted and started typing into her computer.

She shook her head. "Sorry, only immediate family is allowed at this point. Come back next week. Next!" The woman turned to look at a man standing by the entrance, then she nodded and he walked over.

He was an escort and I was about to be taken out. "Wait!" I snapped, "I'm her sister. You can't throw out her sister, that's bullshit!" The man looked me up and down, then back at the woman.

She rolled her eyes and gestured towards the hallway. "Room 106, to the left, and take a pass from the side." I smiled gratefully and slid through the main doors.

Again, I was back in the maze of corridors but this time, I had a sense of where I was going. My mind replayed the stretcher rolling past and I finally found the right corridor.

"103, 104, 105...106!" I whispered, turning the handle and stepping inside. Bonnie laid on the bed, wires weaving in and out of her pale body. She had giant bandages wrapped across her stomach and I began to pity her.

"Vanessa? What are you doing here?" She whispered whilst I pulled up a chair. "Is Carl alright? I don't remember much but-"

Her multiple questions were stopped once I cut her off. "Don't worry, Carl is great. Just a slight concussion, that's all. But I can't say the same for you, how have you been holding up?" I asked, sympathetically.

"It's been real rough. I had a 3 hour surgery to handle the bullet and wound, the food is shit and the hospital is too broke to even afford a decent channel." I placed my hand on hers, to try and calm her down.

"Everything's going to be okay. At least you're alive and somewhat healthy." I said, making her nod. "Now, what do you remember from yesturday?"

She thought for a second. "Well, I saw Carl walking down the sidewalk. He was out of it, not taking in any surroundings, just thinking and concentrating on something. A guy got out of a car and shouted before firing."

I peered at her, curiously. "What car? What did he look like?" She shook her head.

"I can't remember the car but it was black. The guy was tall and he had brown hair which was quite messy. I couldn't tell you much about his face but his nose was quite sharp and pointy. He also had a bit of stubble but there wasn't any major facial hair." Ideas rolled around my mind but I couldn't assume things just yet.

"Okay, what was he wearing?"

Again, Bonnie stopped to think. This time, it took her a bit longer. "Well... I think there was a blue, distressed flannel. And some black jeans."

My eyes widened. "A blue flannel? Like blue, white and purple?" I thought for a second. "And a guy with a sharp nose and stubble?"

I knew who it was, and he wasn't lying last time. He was out for blood.

-end of chapter;
Yo yo yo my dudes! Enjoy an 1000 word chapter for once. I haven't done one since my first book :) Also, I was thinking of doing a QOTD thing. So, my first question is: What do you want to know about me?

Enjoy this chapter and I'll see y'all next time xx