Vindictive

I screamed.

I screamed bloody murder, and I moved back against the headboard, my eyes never leaving the form of the mysterious man sitting in my room—at night.

Who was he?

Why was he here?

But most importantly, how did he even get in here?

And for some reason, he didn’t look panicked that I began to scream. Normally, thieves and burglars panicked when their victims started to make noise simply because they’d have an easier chance to get caught. But he didn’t look scared or panicked.

In fact, his smirk seemed to grow from my screams, almost like he was amused.

My bedroom door suddenly slammed open, my Nan making her way into the room, looking half asleep and mildly hysterical. “Honey, what’s wrong? What happened?” Her hair was sticking up everywhere, and she was still wearing her white nightgown.

From the angle she stood at, she would obviously see the man. He was right to her left.

But she didn’t see him. It was like he was invisible or something. I glanced at him, seeing that he was now drumming his fingers almost impatiently on his knees, licking his lips and staring at my Nan expectantly. He said nothing.

My Nan then swept her eyes around the room, and her eyes washed right over his form, but she didn’t see him.

What was going on?

“Avery?” Nan spoke again, quieter.

“I-I’m sorry,” I stammered shakily, lifting up my blanket and wrapping it around me. I rubbed at my eyes, expecting the man to be gone when I opened them.

But when I opened them, he was standing at the foot of the bed. He looked much taller than I remembered, and he started chuckling when I let out another shriek, flinching and hitting my back roughly on the headboard.

“She can’t see me,” He told me matter-of-factly, stepping aside so I could see Nan giving me a strange look.

“Can you please tell me what’s wrong?” Nan asked, waving her hands a little in stress.

“I don’t know what’s happening,” I said in distress, my eyes unable to leave the man’s form, who casually leaned back against the wall.

He sighed and waved his hand offhandedly, “Hurry up and get her out of here. I wasn’t kidding when I said that we needed to talk.”

I blinked rapidly for a few moments, trying my best to figure out if this was a mere dream of not, until my Nan sat gingerly on the edge of my bed.

“Did you have a bad dream?” She asked softly.

I nodded feebly, “Yes, I, uh, had a very bad dream.”