Death.

Saying goodbye to my Nan was especially hard, knowing that it would be the last time I saw her. And even though Harry told me to make it as brief as possible, I couldn’t help but try my best to prolong my time with her.

“I’m going to be out for a couple of hours,” I told her eventually, grasping onto her feeble hands and giving her a squeeze. I remembered that years ago, those feeble hands, once strong and supportive, used to push me on the swing in my backyard, while my parents were busy. I did spend quite some time with her when I was a child, until my parents moved farther away from her to get closer to the church; they wanted to save some gas money.

“Oh? Where are you going?” She asked, raising an eyebrow in interest.

I forced a smile, “I’m probably just going to go see a movie. I need to get my mind off of things, you know?”

“That you do, dear. I’m happy you’re finally taking care of yourself. I was beginning to worry about you.” My Nan looked delighted, and she pressed a quick kiss to my cheek, accepting my lie immediately. She told me to be careful, and she also said that I could stay out as long as I wanted to.

“I love you,” I whispered as I quickly hugged her one last time.

She chuckled, “Go now, we don’t want you to miss your movie.” She patted my back, and I reluctantly pulled away. I felt like crying.

In a few hours or so, or a day, I was…I was going to extract my revenge and become a murderer.

I was going to break one of the ten commandments, the rules we all Christians live by.

Thou shall not kill.

I was terrified, but the longing for revenge was thriving inside of me. I had hoped that by finishing this revenge, the pain would go away, but I knew fully well that getting revenge won’t change anything.

And it was kind of strange that ever since Harry appeared, I felt more vindictive than I did before. Before, I was just sad. But now…I was sad and vindictive.

“Come on,” Harry urged from outside the front door, waiting for me. “It’s time to go, Avery.”

I opened my mouth to reply, but quickly shut it. If I spoke, I would appear to be talking to air. Nobody else saw Harry but me. I opened the door after grabbing my purse, and walked to the car. I had already put my suitcase in the very back, and I closed the front door, jumping a little when I saw Harry sitting in the passenger seat.

“Ready?” He asked. He didn’t look as “unreal” as before. He was actually wearing sunglasses, and it was ultimately strange how I could actually see the reflections on his glasses.

As I began driving, I asked, “How come you look so real?”

“Because I’m in my full human form.” He answered. “Before, I was only half human. I’m in that form when I’m searching for a long lost soul, like you.” He smirked at me. “So now, people can see me, unless I don’t want them to.”

“Oh,” Was all I could say.

“And yes, I can touch you.” His tone was mischievous as he murmured this, and he poked my cheek gently. God, his fingers were cold.

“Why are you so cold?” I asked, turning off the air conditioning in the car.

Harry chuckled, “I’m a demon.”

I sighed after he said this, and went back to focusing on driving. Harry seemed so cocky and arrogant, and part of me knew it was a huge mistake ever trusting him. He could’ve lied about everything he said…and with that nightmare I had, about going to Hell…