chapter 2 | who's that?

Six Months AgoFriday Night (Two Days Before Graduation)

Six Months Ago
Friday Night
(Two Days Before Graduation)

The crowd roars to life as DJ Lex ends the countdown on the current number one song. Drake's latest hit blasts through the sound system, making clubbers go wild.

"You're leaving early tonight? Me too! What are you and that boy toy of yours, doing? Each other?" Sasha leans her head back and belts out an impish laugh, making me smirk at the thought.

Sasha Baxter and I met on campus last year, quite by accident. After receiving an email with a class schedule addressed to her, I went to the Office of Student Affairs to fix the mix-up. When I arrived, there she was, standing at the counter complaining that she'd received a class schedule with my name on it. We became fast friends after that and recently got jobs, working together at Club Lotus.

"We're going to a concert down at the Rave. Miguel is performing tonight. I'm so excited!" I rub my hands in anticipation.

"I love Miguel! You're so lucky! You know his music is all about sex! Sounds like your night is gonna end well!"

"It just might!" I reply, grinning from ear to ear. I'm waiting for my drink orders to be filled when I spot a new face in my section. Pulling Sasha's attention away from the table she's wiping, I nudge her.

"Hey, who is that? Over there?"

"Who? The guy with the goatee, talking to Nick?"

"Yeah . . . him." My heart does a somersault.

"Oh. He's hot, right? Wish he was standing in my section." Sasha moves in close and whispers, in a gossipy tone. "He's the CEO of that huge real estate firm downtown." She snaps her fingers. "You know, the one that has that commercial on TV?"

I shake my head causing my curls to bounce. "I'm drawing a blank."

"Anyhow, he made Forbes "30 Under 30" list a couple of years ago. He's a real estate rock star. And sexy as hell, if I might add. He's the type of guy any girl would be happy to snag!" A naughty smile dances on Sasha's pretty face, and she returns to the task of clearing tables in her section.

"Rugged with a side of sexy," I say to no one, in particular.

Just then, my boss motions for me to join him. Niccolo Moretti never fails to make me think of a 1920s gangster. The ones with pinstripe suits and Tommy guns.

He yells over the music. "Hey sweetheart, come here for a sec. There's somebody I want you to meet."

I pat down my black crop top and mini skirt before walking across the club in my stilettos. My heart is about to leap out of my chest. I hope no one can tell. I force myself to project confidence in my stride. It's always been a good cover. "Hey Nick, what's going on?" I glance from Nick to Mr. Ruggedly Handsome.

Resting his chubby hand on the small of my back, Nick turns back to Ruggedly Handsome. "This is Aria. She's a doll. The best of the best, I tell ya. She'll be taking care of you tonight. Anything you need, there's nothing too small, just let her know." Nick turns to me. "Ain't that right, baby girl?"