chapter 43 | hot on the trail

Four Weeks Ago

Four Weeks Ago

Friday Midnight

As I follow a few car lengths behind, I watch as Phoenix picks up his phone. He's talking to someone. I call him to see if he'll answer and he doesn't. I try three more times. No answer. It hurts to watch him ignore me like that. He literally just left my house and was all kisses and compliments. Now, he doesn't know me. I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. One minute he's on, the next he's off. What's causing this weird behavior. It's like there's someone there pulling invisible strings and he moves at their whim.

He pulls up to his house and rushes inside. I park in the condo community parking lot across the street. It's perfect because I can see him, but he can't see my car from behind the bushes that line the property.

Let's not drive onto any boulders this time!

Being extra cautious, I take my eyes off his home and watch where I'm driving. I can't live through another incident like last time. My heart beats with a crazy vengeance. I know I shouldn't be out here, but I can't seem to shake this feeling there's something Phoenix isn't telling me. Worse than that, he's purposely lying to me, hiding whatever it is he doesn't want me to know. It's clear, I love this man, but I can't live like this. He's got me on a line, waiting for him. He has too much control over me. He's leaving and disappearing without explanation. I don't like being in this position. I feel too powerless.

Fifteen minutes later, his front door opens.

Uh huh. I thought you were tired.

I call his phone to see what he will do. He takes one look at the screen and dismisses the call.

A shot to my heart.

He reaches back to close the door. Except that instead of closing the door, he rests his hand on the lower back of some woman that walks out after him. She closes the door and they get into the Viper. The car I just got out of!

Who is that? He put his hand on her lower back and she's OK with that? I know what it means when a man puts his hand there! Classic body language 101. Either has or wants to fuck you!

It doesn't mean anything. Nick does that to you, and you know there is absolutely nothing going on there!

Well, it does mean they're comfortable with each other.

What about the fact that she was there when he got there!

She either lives there or has keys!

That's why he never brought you back to his house!

But he did offer the night I rolled on the boulder.

Envy spikes my heart like a dagger. I can barely breathe through the anger.

He's everything to me, how could he have room for someone else like that? How did I not see this before?