chapter 19 | paint the town

Three Months Ago

Three Months Ago

Saturday Night

Leaning closer to the mirror, I apply dark eye shadow and thick eyeliner for a dramatic look. Shifting through my makeup drawer, I search for my boldest, brightest lipstick. On second thought, a nude gloss will make my eyes pop, so I go that route.

"Ari, get dressed already!" Mia doesn't bother to hide her impatience.

"Tonight, I'm putting sluts to shame. My clothes are on the bed. I'm wearing that sleeveless black, bandage dress with the cute cutouts. Showing a little skin. Mainly boobage but the sides along the waist are also cutout. It's cute, take a look. I'm topping it off with black chunky heels and my black snakeskin clutch."

"That's hot! You're on fire tonight, chica!" Penelope yells from my bedroom.

Mia breezes past me in the bathroom reaching for the black cherry lipstick and bronzer. "How long has it been since we've been out?" She applies bronzer to her cheekbones.

"Close to a month."

"That's way too long. I feel like we're growing apart or something." Penelope stands at the bathroom entrance, popping her gum like it's the last piece she'll ever chew.

"That's why I pushed for us to get out tonight. We need girl time."

"This bathroom is not big enough for the three of us. I'll use the mirror in your bedroom, Ari. I feel like I have no idea what's going on in your world," Penelope yells down the hall. "I know Mia just got accepted into Marquette."

"Yay me!"

"Following in big sis' footsteps, finally! There's nothing new with me, really. My T-shirts are selling like hotcakes."

"That's good news," Penelope returns, leaning against the bathroom door frame. "Mia, pass the eyeshadow."

"Here you go. Well, I went on a date with—wait for it."

"With who!?!" Penelope and I yell in unison.

She wrinkles her nose as if she's just smelled cooked cabbage. "Ricky."

"Ew! People call me Pretty Ricky."

"That's so gross! He's more like Filthy Ricky."

"Or Stinky Ricky!"

"I know. He kept bugging me, so I caved. It was horrible. Never again."

I laugh. Hard. "That will teach you to listen to big sis!"

"So, Ari. What's with your love life, these days?" Penelope asks from the bedroom.

"What love life? I'm a nun." I tap Mia on the arm. "Pass me that hair perfume?"

"Not even a person of interest?"

"Nope. Not a soul."

"Hmm." Mia purses her lips. Her tone is doubtful. She looks at me out the corner of her eye and gives me the spray. "What's that for?"