chapter 14 | nowhere in sight, road kill

Four Months Ago

Four Months Ago

Friday Night

"Hey, Money." I lean on the bar, bored out of my mind. "Loving that purple hair."

Makeup flawless as usual, Money preens his pixie. "It's lavender grey and lilac. Thank you ma'am."

"Looks damn good on you. What's your night looking like?"

"Slow," he deadpans. "Something or other going on downtown. We'll bounce back tomorrow night."

I survey the club, and I don't see him anywhere. Since last month, Phoenix has made an effort to be here every Friday night. Sometimes he's with his boys, other times he's with Kim, and still other times, he's shown up with a random girl I've never seen before but he's always here and when he is, the night is always fun. His absence makes me yearn for him to walk through the door. Where is he?

"Now, I know he wants me. Look at him." Money points to a hottie in the crowd. "He keeps looking over here! I'd flip him quick. His girl ain't getting it right." Money sucks his teeth. "Let me hit that! Once you go gay, you never turn away." He cracks up at his own joke as he pours maraschino cherries into the condiment caddy.

Stealing a cherry, I snort at his overconfidence. "You're crazy you know that? Is that what goes on in that filthy mind of yours?" I tease before tossing the sweet treat into my mouth.

Of all the people I've met in my life, Money shines with the brightest of them. He's beautiful, bold, and honest. His brazen personality is like a flashlight in a blackout. Everyone is drawn to him.

"What! Every man is a little curious. Trust and believe, I know these things. I've flipped quite a few men." Money cocks his head to the side. "They all like a nice hunk of meat every now and then!"

Laughing my head off, I smack his arm not believing all the details of that little confession.

"What?" He rubs his arm, smirking.

"You are so bad, Money!"

"That's what they tell me!" He blows his nails and shines them. "I don't know what it is. Maybe the thrill of the chase? But I love me some straight men."

"So, do I, girl! So, do I." We high five each other and bust out laughing.

I turn around to a tap on my shoulder. A familiar face.

"Hi. Aria, is it? Can I talk to you for a second?"

Looking around for Phoenix, I agree. "Sure, what's up?"

"I'm Kim, Phoenix's girl," she whispers, looking around suspiciously.

"I remember you."

"Girl, I need your help with something. You know we girls need to look out for each other."

"What can I help you with?"

"I just need to know, have you seen Phoenix tonight? Has he been in here?" She looks a little deranged. She stares in my eyes as if she's trying to see if I'm lying.