chapter 33 | masquerade party part 1

Nine Weeks Ago

Nine Weeks Ago

Saturday Night

"This is it?" Looming in the distance behind a tall iron gate and foliage as far as the eye can see is the mansion.

Phoenix rolls down the partition. "Hey Leon, is this it?"

"Yes, sir." Leon drives up to the gate.

Riz checks the invite on his phone. "This is the right place."

We're greeted by four muscular security guards at the front gate, dressed in black suits.

Riz rolls down this window.

"Password," one of the four demands as he walks up to the window.

Riz whispers something at close range. They open the gates.

Once inside, we all put on our masks. We drive down a long mosaic tiled driveway lined with tall, lush palm trees. We reach a marble work of art featuring two giant men dressed in robes holding up a basin from which water overflows. The water fills the fountain below. Past the fountain and up the grand staircase, lies oversized French doors. The entrance to the mansion sits right in front of us.

Wide eyed, I look at Mia and Penelope. They nervously stare back. They're both slaying it. Hell, we all are. Penelope looks svelte in a long black, satin evening gown with a slit that reaches her thigh. Her look is complete with black strappy stilettos and a matching clutch. Her large bouncy curls are pulled to one side for dramatic flair.

Mia stays true to the fashion rebel that she is, wearing a sleeveless, back-out ivory jumpsuit with exceptionally wide pant legs that have long slits running all the way up to her hips. Her nude shoes are simple, sparkly with a single strap over her toes and around her ankles. Her hair has been straightened, with a part on the side, giving her a sleek look.

I'm wearing the gorgeous, emerald green, sheer evening gown I spotted in Caviar. Once I tried it on, Phoenix insisted I have it and I couldn't part with it. Embroidered with shimmering crystals, this sleeveless mesh dress sparkles relentlessly in any light. The mock neck collar, back-out design and long thigh-high slit give this chic dress a sexy edge. My stilettos are similar to Mia's with one exception. No sparkles. My hair is styled in a fancy updo with curls cascading forward.

Phoenix dons a black on black tuxedo. The contrast of his satiny jacket lapels and textured tie give his simple look a hint of complexity. Riz wears a navy tuxedo with a gray tie and handkerchief. JC sports a traditional black and white tuxedo and Nixon wears a black tuxedo with red tie and handkerchief. They each look dapper in their own way.

"After you, Ms. Davenport." Standing with one hand in his pocket and the other presenting the staircase, Phoenix cocks a sexy ass half smile.

Sparks ignite my nether regions. "Mr. Prescott." I lead the way, pulling my dress up and out of the way as I ascend the stairs. I grab the golden ring from the mouth of one of the lions on the ornately carved doors and knock three times. It's forever before the door is answered. We're greeted by a half-masked woman in a stunning black sequin dress holding a glass of wine.