The Smiths and Jones

~~~~~ The Doctor's POV ~~~~~

"Now then, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, a very good morning to you. How are you today?" a doctor pulled back the curtains with a little bunch of medical students behind him.

"Oh, not so bad. Still a bit, you know, blah," I answered, still trying to hide my smile from the Gemstone and I's cover as husband and wife.

"John Smith, admitted yesterday with severe abdominal pains. Jones, why don't you see what you can find?" the instructor looked to a pretty woman. She had beautiful dark eyes to match her skin, and straight nearly black hair to compliment her sharp features. I turned my head towards the Gemstone and completely stopped my thinking of Jones, knowing that the last Time Lady was more beautiful by far. "Amaze me," the doctor encouraged her bitterly.

"It wasn't very clever, running around outside, was it?" Jones asked me as she put on her stethoscope.

"Sorry?" I asked her, having no idea what she was talking about.

"On Chancellor Street this morning. You came up to me and took your tie off," Jones explained to me.

"Really? What did I do that for?" I muttered, knowing it was most likely my future self, but why?

"I don't know, you just did," Jones murmured.

"Not him, he was here in bed. I made sure of it, he's like a child," Gem finally peered over the top of her magazine and set it down.

"Well that's weird, 'cause it looked like you," Jones looked confused, and was obviously going against her boss's wishes because he didn't look happy with our little chat. "Have you got a brother?" she asked me, and I could practically hear the Gemstone cringe back.

"No, not anymore. Just me and my wife," I tried to sound as chirpy as possible, but then I faltered when I saw Gem's pleasing expression to the girl for her to stop.

"As time passes and I grow ever more infirm and weary, Miss Jones," the doctor interrupted the awkward topic to order his student to work.

"Sorry, right," Jones placed the stethoscope on my left heart and listened to the beating, until looking surprised and moving to the other side. Gem tried to stifle her laughter as Jones looked bemused and amazed.

"I weep for future generations. Are you having trouble locating the heart, Miss Jones?" the teacher mocked her, but she had a perfectly good reason to look confused.

"Um, I don't know. Stomach cramps?" she stuttered, but still smiling.

"That is a symptom, not a diagnosis," the teacher insulted, and I could imagine all of the dirty names Gem was wanting to call him from her icy glare at the man. "And you rather failed basic techniques by not consulting first with the patient's chart," the man critiqued as he picked up the clipboard with all of my fake information on it, but was shocked with a small volt of electricity.

"That happened to me this morning," Jones got suspicious.

"Same thing on the door handle," one of the students piped up and he looked at the clipboard warily.

"And me, in the lift," a woman commented. The Gemstone wiggled her eyebrows at me, making me grin back at her. When she had come to me yesterday morning with a twinkle in her eyes promising adventure, I couldn't refuse. For all of yesterday and today we had been chatting for hours and messing with the nurses, they sure didn't like us.

"Well, that's only to be expected. There's a thunderstorm moving in, and lightning is a form of static electricity, as was first proven by. . . anyone?" the doctor asked his students.