Chapter 1

Penny Ingram had a crush on her boss. Technically speaking, he wasn't really her boss; but he was one of the managers in her office. Jake Logan was the man of her dreams. He had an easy-going charm which put people at ease and he was well liked around the office. That was the problem. Not only was he considered nice, but he was also very attractive. Lots of Penny's coworkers drooled over him. They asked Jake to go to coffee or lunch with them, but he always refused. Penny supposed that office romances were frowned upon, but no one had ever said they weren't.

Penny was too shy to ask Jake out for coffee. She hardly ever spoke to him, for one thing. And she felt plain next to some of the other girls in the office. She always dressed conservatively to cover up the flaws in her figure. She was of average height, but her figure was too plump to be considered fashionable. She envied girls who were stick thin and could wear whatever they wanted. Penny ended up wearing a lot of black to try to minimize the size of her bust and hips. It didn't help that she spent eight to ten hours a day sitting at a desk, either. But she tried to eat a healthy diet and get some exercise on the weekends.

"Hey, Penny, we're going to that new doughnut shop on the corner. Would you like us to bring you something?" one of her coworkers asked.

"No thanks," Penny replied. Her coworkers were always offering to bring her food. She didn't understand why.

"Suit yourself," she heard one of the girls say as a group of them walked by Penny's cubicle.

Penny inwardly shrugged as she continued working on her laptop. Her computer was connected to a second monitor so she could work on multiple files at the same time. She was well known for her technical abilities and her skills with office programs. Her boss, Harry, was one of the hardest working partners at the accounting firm and he expected no less from his assistant. Penny tried hard not to disappoint him. He was fair but firm in his expectations.

Penny was working on a spreadsheet when her boss summoned her to his office. Grabbing her notepad, Penny went to Harry's office. He wasn't alone. Jake was sitting in one of the chairs across from Harry's desk. 

"Hi, Penny. Have a seat," Harry said, gesturing toward the other chair.

Penny tried not to feel nervous as she sat next to Jake. She could smell his aftershave and it made her almost light-headed. His hair was light brown and curly down to his neck. He had deep blue eyes and sharp cheek bones. Penny always thought he looked like a movie star, especially when he was dressed in a suit.

"Hi, Penny," Jake said, smiling as he made eye contact with her.

"Hi, Jake," she replied, feeling flustered by his attention. He'd never spoken to her before. His voice was deep and sultry.

Harry went on to explain that the firm had been hired to do an audit at a chemical engineering company. Jake's assistant wasn't familiar with the software used at the company, but Penny was.

"I need you to go with Jake for the next few days to help with the audit," Harry explained. "You'd be doing us a huge favor."

"Sure," Penny answered. "I'm happy to do whatever you need."

Harry smiled.

"Thanks so much," Harry said. "I know you'll do a great job."

Jake thanked Harry for lending him his assistant.

"No problem, buddy," Harry replied. "Just take care of her. Good assistants are hard to find."

Jake chuckled. Penny loved the sound of his laugh.

Penny was in a daze when she returned to her cubicle. She couldn't believe what just happened. She was going to be spending the next couple of days with Jake! She couldn't believe her luck.