Chapter 3

Jake took Penny to one of the nicest restaurants in town. She was surprised. They were seated at a corner table with a votive candle in the center. Penny thought it looked quite romantic.

"This is a nice place," Penny said. "I've never been here before."

"The food here is great," Jake said cheerfully. "I hope you like it."

Jake ordered a steak and Penny got a vegetable stir fry. The vibe between them seemed different somehow. She couldn't put her finger on it.

They made small talk while they waited for their food. Even though they'd had lunch together a few times, it felt like they'd never really eaten together before.

"Tell me about your family," Jake said when their food arrived.

"Well, I don't have much family," Penny began. "My parents were killed in a car crash six years ago while I was still in college."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Jake said softly. "That must have been terrible for you."

"It was horrible at first, but I've gotten used to being alone," Penny said without emotion.

"I couldn't even imagine losing both my parents at the same time," Jake said sympathetically. "Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"No," she replied. "I was an only child."

"That must have been lonely for you," Jake replied.

Penny shrugged.

"I got used to it," she answered. "How about your family?" she asked, desperate to change the subject.

"My parents and my sister all live in Vancouver," Jake said, after a moment.

"Do you see them often?" she asked.

"My sister is busy, but I see my parents about once a month," Jake replied.

Penny nodded.

They ate in silence for a moment, but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. Penny felt relaxed with Jake somehow.

"How does your meal taste?" Jake asked, cutting himself a piece of steak.

"It's great, thanks," Penny replied, hoping Jake wasn't getting bored of being with her. She often felt like her conversational skills were lacking. Maybe that's why her dates never asked her out twice. Was this a date? It sure felt like one.

"So how do you like working at the firm?" Jake asked.

"I'm kept pretty busy, but I enjoy the challenge of the work," Penny replied.

"Well, you're very good at your job," Jake said. "I hope we aren't working you too hard."

"I get paid well for what I do," Penny answered. "I don't mind working extra hours every once in a while."

"You need to make sure you get enough time to relax," Jake said. "You don't want to get burned out."

"It's hard sometimes," Penny admitted. "But I don't want to disappoint anyone."

Jake looked at her for a moment before he said, "I don't think you should worry so much about that. I get the sense that you rarely disappoint anyone."

"Really? That's nice of you to say," she said, blushing.

"Nice has nothing to do with it," Jake replied. "I've known about you for a while and I've never heard anything but good things about you."

Penny felt her cheeks grow warm at his praise.

"I'm not looking for compliments, I assure you," she said, starting to feel uncomfortable.