Chapter 7

Penny and Jake started to spend all their free time together. Penny began to think of herself as his girlfriend. Sometimes it seemed too good to be true. The way he treated her always made her feel special and her doubts started to wane. She felt more confident knowing that Jake cared about her and wanted her.

Jake invited Penny to go to Vancouver with him for Thanksgiving weekend. He said his parents wanted to meet her. She was instantly nervous. Would his parents like her? Would they think she was good enough for their son?

*****************************

Jake and Penny left early on Saturday morning to drive to Vancouver. It would take them about five hours to get to Jake's parents' place. Jake hadn't told Penny much about his parents. She knew his father ran a financial investment company. His mom was involved with quite a few charities and was always busy with fundraisers.

"What does your sister do?" Penny asked.

"She's a socialite," Jake replied. "She's on the hunt for a rich husband, but she never seems to find one rich enough for her. She still lives with my parents and I think she drives them a bit crazy."

"Oh," Penny replied. It didn't sound like she had much in common with Jake's sister.

"Don't worry about my sister," Jake said. "She's just spoiled. She'll grow up someday."

Penny started to feel more nervous the closer they got to their destination.

"What's wrong, Penny?" Jake finally asked. "You're so quiet all of a sudden."

Penny sighed.

"I hope your family likes me," she said nervously.

"Of course they will," Jake asserted. "They'll love you. Just be yourself."

Penny suddenly wondered how many women Jake had brought home to meet his parents. How would she compare? She knew Jake had a past with women, but he hadn't said much about them except they were high maintenance.

"You're still worrying, aren't you?" Jake said, reaching for her hand.

"I can't help it," she admitted. "I want to make a good impression."

Jake squeezed her hand and tried to reassure her.

"You're a great person, Penny," he said. "I don't know how to convince you of that. I wouldn't be with you if I didn't think you were awesome."

Penny felt herself blushing. It was hard for her to believe what Jake said.

********************************

They got to Vancouver and Jake drove through nicer and nicer neighborhoods. The houses got bigger and bigger and further apart.

Penny started to wonder where Jake's parents' house was when Jake pulled up to a closed gate and pushed a button on the posted intercom.

Jake announced himself and then the gate started to open. Jake drove through the gate and then up a long driveway.

Penny was in shock. This wasn't a house; it was an estate! Jake's parents must be rich. Way richer than he'd let on. Why hadn't he told her?

Jake pulled up to a huge mansion with a circular driveway.

"Here we are," Jake said, turning toward her. He noticed the look on her face and said, "What's the matter?"

"I can't go in there," Penny murmured.

"Why not?" Jake asked curiously.

"I'm not dressed properly, I'm not good enough..." She couldn't finish. All her insecurities were rising back to the surface.