Chapter 14

The anniversary party was in full swing and Penny was bored. The only people she knew were the Logans and Jeremy.

Bill and Margo had lots of friends. Jake tried to introduce her to everyone, but it soon became a blur to her. She sat at a table next to Jeremy and kept him company. She suspected he was bored also, but was too polite to say anything.

"I bet you wish you were playing Crazy Taxi right now, huh?" she asked him.

"That would be cash," Jeremy replied, smiling at her.

Penny assumed that meant something good.

There was a band playing music in the corner of the salon. A makeshift dance floor was set up in the middle of the room.

Jake came over and asked her to dance. She stood up and followed him to the dance floor. He held her in his arms as they swayed to the music.

"Are you having fun?" Jake asked in her ear.

"I'm worried about Jeremy," she replied. "I think he's bored."

"You're probably right," Jake said. "He's the only teenager here."

Penny suggested that Jake allow Jeremy to go play his video game.

"I guess that would be alright," Jake replied.

When the dance was over, Jake led Penny back to where Jeremy was sitting.

"Hey, Jeremy, how'd you like to go play your game for a while?" Jake asked.

"That would be awesome!" Jeremy exclaimed, jumping up from his chair. He threw Penny a look of gratitude as he left the room.

"I don't think we'll see him for the rest of the night," Jake remarked, chuckling.

Penny laughed, giving Jake a quick hug.

About half an hour later Bill paused the band so he could make an announcement.

Holding the mic, Bill told a funny story from when he and Margo were first married.

"She's still with me after forty years, and I just want to say how grateful I am to have such a wonderful woman in my life."

He called Margo over and gave her a quick kiss. Margo then told everyone to help themselves to a piece of cake.

"Would you like me to get you a piece of cake?" Jake asked.

"Sure," Penny replied.

Suddenly, Georgia was at the microphone.

"Wait, everybody!" she called. "I have an announcement to make."

Georgia turned toward an older man who was standing next to her. He looked slightly ill at ease to have people's attention on him. Penny felt sorry for him.

"This is Reginald Price the third," Georgia said, gesturing toward the man next to her. "He has asked me to marry him. And I said 'yes'."

There was a stunned moment of silence. Margo and Bill looked shocked.

Someone started to clap and then everyone started to applaud. Georgia smiled smugly, kissing Reginald on the cheek. He blushed.

**********************************

"Your sister sure knows how to hijack a party," Penny said as they cuddled in bed later that night.

"I didn't realize she was that desperate to leave the house and get married," Jake commented. "Poor Reggie looked like a strong wind would blow him over."