Chapter 10

Jake took Penny to Cozumel for their Christmas vacation. Penny was thrilled to be alone with him for a whole week. He found a resort that had a piano so that Penny could still practice. That was very thoughtful of him.

They had fun being tourists and exploring the island. They went snorkeling and relaxed on the beach. Jake rented a jeep and they drove to the southernmost tip of the island. There was a lighthouse there that they wanted to see. After paying a fee, they climbed the steps up to the top of the lighthouse. The view was spectacular. Jake took some pictures. Penny leaned on the railing and studied the azure ocean below. It was very calm and peaceful.

"I want you to move in with me," Jake said next to her.

"What?" she asked incredulously. She turned to look at him. He wasn't staring at the view. He was looking at her intently.

"I'm serious," he said deeply. "I want you to live with me. Will you think about it?"

Penny was shocked. She hadn't been expecting such a request.

"What about my condo?" she asked, trying hard to think straight. The thought of living with him hadn't occurred to her.

"You can sell it," he replied brusquely.

"Won't my practicing drive you nuts?" she asked in a worried tone of voice.

"I doubt it," he said. "It hasn't bothered me yet."

Penny's mind was in a whirl. It sounded like Jake was truly serious. She was overwhelmed.

"I want to make it easier for us to spend time together," he said. "I thought that living together would accomplish that."

"But it would be a huge commitment," Penny stated nervously.

"You're right, it would," he replied, sounding very sure of himself. "Are you up for it?"

Jake didn't look like he had any doubts at all. Penny had never seen him look so serious. She was lost in his gaze, lost in the moment.

"I love you, Penny," he said. "I want to be with you. It's as simple as that."

Penny felt tears come to her eyes. He loved her! She'd waited a long time to hear those words. They meant everything to her.

"I love you, too," she replied, looking deep into his eyes.

He kissed her deeply and put his arms around her. She clung to him, caught up in the moment.

"You haven't answered my question," Jake said a few minutes later.

"Yes, I'll move in with you," she replied, smiling happily.

"Awesome!" he exclaimed, hugging her. "You've made me very happy."

Penny hugged him back, laughing at his exuberance. She loved making him happy.

***********************************

Things got really busy for Penny after they returned from Mexico. She would never forget the scene at the lighthouse. She would often reflect on it whenever she was feeling stressed out.

Jake wanted her to move in with him right away. She worried about getting her piano moved to the penthouse. Jake found a moving company that would move the piano in the same day. Penny worried about the cold winter air harming the strings. Jake didn't want to wait until the weather got warmer. He promised to get the piano tuned as soon as possible.

Penny put her condo on the market the week after she got back from Mexico. She had no idea how long it would take to sell it in the winter. She priced it competitively, hoping it would sell quickly. She spent her evenings packing boxes. Most of her stuff would go into storage. Her clothes and piano books would go to the penthouse. Jake was already making room for her stuff in his walk-in closet. Penny was grateful.