Chapter 15

Penny went to work the next day and gave her notice. She gave a week's notice and knew that was too short, but she didn't care. She had made her choice and couldn't wait to be with Jake. She wanted to surprise him. She hoped he wouldn't mind.

****************************************

Penny took a picture of her piano and posted it for sale on Kijiji. She had decided she would buy another one in Vancouver. For some strange reason, she wanted to start fresh with a different one.

*****************************************

Penny's final week of work was torture for her. She barely made it through the days because all she wanted to do was start her new life with Jake. She patiently handed off her work to other accountants. She asked for and received a glowing letter of reference from Harry. She hoped it would help her get a new job in Vancouver.

*****************************************

Penny sold her piano to a family with two young children. She practically gave it away. She hoped the family would enjoy it as much as she had.

*****************************************

On Penny's final day of work her coworkers had a cake for her and gave her a card. She was touched. She didn't realize how much her coworkers would miss her. She sort of regretted leaving, but she knew she had made the right choice.

******************************************

Penny waited until Saturday to leave for Vancouver. She packed all her clothes and her piano music in her car. Thankfully, everything fit. She hoped Jake and Jeremy would be home when she got there.

******************************************

Penny's heart felt lighter the closer she got to Vancouver. She never thought she'd move to a big city, but she never thought she'd fall in love, either. Anything felt possible now.

******************************************

Penny reached Jake's house and she pulled up to the front sidewalk. Jake and Jeremy were playing basketball in the driveway. They looked like they were having fun.

Jake stopped playing when he saw Penny get out of her car.

"This is a surprise," he said, coming over to her. He smiled brightly at her, taking her breath away.

Jake gave her a big hug, apologizing for being sweaty.

"That's okay," she said, loving the smell of him.

Jake pulled away from her and said, "You feel thinner. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she replied softly.

"You look a little tired," Jake said gently, caressing her cheek.

"I've had a busy week," Penny answered.

"How long can you stay?" he asked.

"As long as you'll have me," she replied shyly.

"Really?" he asked, surprised.

Penny nodded.

"I love you and I can't live without you," she stated. "It's as simple as that."

Jake pulled her into his arms and held her tight.

"I love you so much," he murmured. "Did you bring all your stuff with you?"

"Yep," she answered. "It all fit in my car."

Jake pulled away, looking puzzled.

"What about your piano?" he asked.

"I sold it," she replied.

"You what?" he asked, shocked.

"I sold it," she repeated.

"Why did you do that?" he asked in a surprised tone of voice.

Penny shrugged.

"I guess I was just...in a hurry to come to you and I didn't want the fuss of moving it."

Jake looked at her for a moment with a weird look on his face.

"Come with me," he suddenly said, reaching for her hand. He led her down the driveway toward the house.

"Hi, Penny," Jeremy said cheerfully as he dribbled a basketball.

"Hi, Jeremy," Penny said amiably.

Jake didn't say a word as he led Penny into the house.

"I want to show you something," Jake said mysteriously as they entered the foyer.

Penny stopped short when they got to the living room. There was a black baby grand piano positioned against the back wall. It fit inside the room perfectly.

"Jake," Penny murmured in shock. "What did you do?"

"I bought it for you just in case you came for a visit," Jake answered softly.

"I'm overwhelmed," Penny said, feeling tears come to her eyes.

"Try it out," Jake encouraged.

Penny walked over to the piano and sat down on the bench. She opened the lid and started to play her Chopin Nocturne. She suddenly stopped.

"It's too much, Jake," she murmured. "I can't accept it."

"Yes, you can," he argued. "You should see what else I bought you."

Jake reached inside the piano and pulled out a small jeweler's box. He sat down on the bench next to her.

Penny gasped in shock.

"What else did you do?" she whispered in shock.

"Something I should have done a long time ago," he replied. "Open it."

Penny opened the box. Inside it was a solitaire diamond ring.

"I can't live without you, either," Jake said softly. "Will you marry me?"

Penny looked up and met his gaze. His eyes were devastatingly intense with emotion. She wanted to see his eyes every day for the rest of her life.

"Yes, I will," she replied emotionally, feeling a tear roll down her cheek.

Jake took the ring out of the box and slid it onto her finger. It fit perfectly.

"I love it," Penny said, admiring the way it twinkled.

"I love you," he replied, kissing her deeply.

Jeremy came inside the house a few minutes later, looked over at the piano, said "Gross," and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

***************************************

Penny and Jake got married three months later at the Vancouver Yacht Club. They decided not to have a honeymoon and took Jeremy to Disneyland instead. Everyone had a great time. Penny was too happy for words.