Chapter 13

Penny drove to Jake's parents' place on Good Friday. She was nervous about meeting Jeremy for the first time. She hoped he liked her. Things would be awkward if he didn't. She was also nervous about seeing Jake's parents again. She'd only spoken to Margo once since Thanksgiving. Jake's mom seemed to have a warmer attitude toward her, but she wasn't sure.

There were lots of vehicles parked in the driveway when Penny got to the house. They looked like delivery vehicles, so Penny figured there must be preparations going on for the anniversary party the next day. She parked next to a delivery van and grabbed her suitcase out of her trunk.

She entered the house and Hastings met her in the foyer.

"Good afternoon, Miss Penny," Hastings said, bowing toward her slightly.

"Hi, Hastings," she replied, smiling. "It's good to see you again."

"I'll take your bag," Hastings said, reaching for her suitcase. "Mrs. Logan put you in Jake's room for the weekend."

"Oh, okay," Penny answered, surprised. She hadn't expected Margo to do that.

"Jake is on a business call at the moment, but I'll let him know you're here," Hastings continued. "Jeremy is in the billiard room if you'd like to see him."

"Okay," Penny replied, thanking him.

She went to the games room, feeling nervous.

She entered the room and saw a teen-aged boy sitting on a couch in front of a big screen t.v. mounted on the wall. It looked like he was playing a video game.

Penny approached him slowly, noticing that he was a younger version of Jake. He had the same color of hair and the same physique as Jake. He looked tall. He seemed focused on his game and Penny was reluctant to disturb him. She approached the couch and Jeremy noticed her.

"Hi, you must be Jeremy," she said gently. "I'm Penny."

"Hi," Jeremy replied, turning his focus back on his game.

Penny sat on the couch and watched Jeremy play for a moment. It looked like some kind of a car game.

"What are you playing?" she asked.

"Crazy Taxi," he replied. "It's cool."

"It looks like it," she replied. "Is it hard?"

"Sometimes," Jeremy answered in a distracted tone. "I'm trying to get to the next level."

Penny didn't know much about video games, but she tried to make conversation, nonetheless.

"How is school going?" she asked.

"Pretty lame," Jeremy replied. "People think I'm a freak because I lost both my parents."

Penny was surprised by his comment. She hadn't expected him to be so open with her right away.

"I lost my parents, too," she said softly. "They were killed in a car accident when I was twenty."

"Oh. Bummer."

That word seemed to sum up Jeremy's feelings. Penny didn't take it personally.

"There's my girl," Jake said jovially, coming into the room. "Come and give me a hug."

Penny smiled and stood up. She went eagerly into Jake's open arms. They hugged each other tightly, happy to be reunited.

"It's so good to see you," Jake said happily, rubbing her back.

"I'm glad to be here," she replied.

Jake kissed her and she forgot about everything else for a moment.