Chapter 2

The second day of the audit went by just as quickly as the first. Penny didn't want her time with Jake to end. He invited her out for lunch again and she enjoyed their meal together. She found Jake easy to talk to and relaxed a bit more around him. He asked her about her music and she told him about some of the pieces she was preparing for her exam.

"It sounds like you've been working really hard," Jake said, taking a sip of water. "I admire that."

"If you heard all the technical exercises I have to do, you'd probably be bored silly," Penny remarked drily.

Jake chuckled.

"It's the little things that make big things possible," He answered.

"I guess you're right," Penny replied.

"I've spent hours in my dark room getting my photos just right," Jake said. "The result is always worth it."

"I'd love to see your work sometime," Penny said shyly.

"There are a few pieces in my office you can see," Jake replied. "We'll have to go there anyway to finish the audit report."

Penny nodded, realizing that she had never seen the inside of Jake's office. Now she would get her chance. She was glad they would get to spend a little more time together before the audit was over.

After lunch they spent the rest of the afternoon at the chemical company gathering data for their audit report. Penny thought the time went by too fast, as usual.

They were driving back to the accounting firm in Jake's car when he suddenly asked, "Are you dating anyone?"

Penny's heart started to pound. Why was he asking her that question? Was he interested in her?

"No, I'm not," she answered quietly.

Jake didn't say anything for a moment. Penny felt her nerves kick up a notch.

"I'm surprised," Jake finally said. "I thought some bright young man would have snatched you up already."

"No such luck," she replied, looking out the passenger window. If Jake knew how few dates she had really been on, he would probably feel sorry for her. She didn't want his pity.

"I have a feeling your luck is about to change," Jake replied as they pulled into the parking lot at the office.

Penny didn't know what to say. What did he mean by that cryptic statement? She was too shy to find out. Jake didn't say anything until they were walking back to the office.

"I'm going to need you to spend some time with me on Monday to finish the audit report," he said as they entered the building. "I'll clear it with Harry so you don't have to worry about your other work."

"Okay. Great," she replied. She was looking forward to spending more time alone with him. She wondered if he was too.

Jake looked like he was about to say something, but he seemed to change his mind.

"Have a good weekend," he finally said, looking deeply into her eyes.

"You too," she replied, feeling her heart melt. "See you Monday."

They parted ways in the hallway and Penny went to her cubicle. She thought about their conversation as she packed up her things to go home. Jake didn't strike her as the type of guy who played games with women. Why had he told her that her luck was about to change? She couldn't figure it out. She couldn't spend much time thinking about it, either, because she had a piano lesson tomorrow afternoon. Her music took priority over everything else. She would have to practice extra hard if she didn't want to disappoint her teacher.