Chapter 1

My mom promised me that I would have my freedom of movement immediately I graduated from high school. I couldn't wait for that because being restricted from almost every thing a normal girl should do was getting very tiring.

What I couldn't understand was why she enjoyed keeping me inside and looking at my face all day. I would totally be my mom's best friend if I don't try to get out of the house. My life is practically from home to school and attending church services every Sunday. She knows how much time I would take to run an errand for her and I dare not be late when coming back. I take the bus to school every morning and she picks me up after school. Mom don't mind doing all the shopping including buying my clothes although seldom we go shopping together and that is only when my presence is really needed.

This is how I live and I felt more like Rapunzel only that in my case, I was dealing with my real mother. The first seventeen years of my life is one hell of a time for me and I crave for freedom like an asthma patient would crave for air when under an attack. Sometimes or would I say most times, I find myself wishing I had Claris's mom. Mrs Bridge would allow Claris to soar the would if she wanted to and that makes me envy her so. She is the only friend I have and the only one that visits me to share my sorrow with; I have never returned her visits because mom is too paranoid of my movements. She is my friend because mom finds her 'fit' for me after she won the competition for best student of the year; Claris was my closest friend way back before this, let me just say that mom didn't notice until she came out best.

Seriously, is this even living. I practically have no male friends and even if guys try to come close to me, somehow I imagine what my mom's face would look like if she finds out that I've started hanging out with boys and I just keep staying away from them and keep my relationship with them around classroom environment. Although Jake couldn't stop trying and I couldn't stop staying away. He is a cool guy, at least so I noticed but if he was going to be my friend, I don't want it to be something my mom wouldn't agree on and I just stay away.

I didn't know what mom was protecting me from and when I ask her the only answer I get is;

''Sandy dear, I don't want you spoilt, you are too precious to me and I don't want my precious mixed with bad blood.''

Jesus! Seriously?

Bad blood mom. Hello!

Then I guess the whole students at Crenshaw High School are all bad blooded.

Sometimes we get into a fight and I still end up reading a novel alone in my bedroom; and the worst parts is that I have no siblings to at worst throw my anger at, or a daddy to soften or worsen the situation. I didn't grow up having a dad even though I have or had one of course. Mom told me that he left her few months after she gave birth to me and since then, she never heard of him. I grew up with that thought about my dad and I didn't know if I should hate him or love him even though I never met him. He probably left because of my mother's attitude which if I'm being given the opportunity would leave her too. Ha-ha who am I kidding...she is my mom.

Well, I would totally say I live a distant life near people but still far from them. I was yet to see what life has ahead of me. Mom should have prepared me for this. Ha