Chapter 9

''What the hell are you doing here?'' I blurted out keeping my voice low as if mom would hear me from wherever she is.

He obviously looked amused at the look on my face, with my wet hair and all.

''You forgot your purse.'' He handed me the tiny thing that looked more like a wallet, that is probably why I forgot it. And now that is the excuse for this surprise, for his presence in my front door. What is this, a romantic movie? I could remember fiddling with the keys and my phone, I totally forgot I even had any purse.

''Thank you.'' I collected the purse from him tugging wet strands of my hair behind by ear.

''How far had you gone before you noticed I left it?'' I asked, not exactly sure why I  did, maybe to start a conversation. To relieve this awkward moment.

''Really far kinda, was almost home.''

''Sorry I made you drive all the way back here.''

''Is cool,  no big deal.''

''Where you in the shower?'' He asked slipping his hands inside his pockets.

My wet hair and robe says it all, so why must he ask. Damn it, if we are going to start this kind of conversation, that means I have to invite him inside which is absolutely not what I want because if mom should come back and meet this 'male', she would practically loose it.

''Ye yeah I wa was and I really need to finish that up.'' I stammer and fiddle with the purse. I hope my body language can help me out here and make this guy understand that I want him to leave and still want him to stay, maybe, kinda.

''Alright, take care and hope to see you around.'' He said twirling Claris's car key in his middle finger.

''Once again, thanks Beck.''

''See ya.''

I watched him walk towards the car and somehow I felt it is my duty to make sure he gets to the car safely. Mom's jeep pulled into the driveway just as he opened the door.

The sight of her jeep alone made me want to evaporate out of the surface of this earth, become some sort of vapor and disappear. It has happened, there is no turning back, mom have already seen the guy who just walked out from her front door and just finished talking to someone that looks like her daughter standing at the doorway. I just wait for the worst, the inevitable worst.

Beck had already closed back the door and probably thinking of doing what I dread most - wanting to greet my mom.

If only he could just ignore the etiquette of politeness, if only he could read my thoughts and know that I want him out of here as far as Claris's car could drive him. I would just have to deal with mom myself without involving him.

''Good evening ma'am.'' He greeted my mom as she came out of the  jeep.

''And who are you?'' She asked hanging her purse on her left shoulder.

''The name is Beck, Claris's cousin.''

''Oh I see, and what brings Claris's cousin to my house?'' I couldn't read the voice, she sounded plain. My feet wouldn't even let me move. I just stood at the door expecting the worst still, is yet to come.

Beck don't seem to sense the tension here if not, he wouldn't be smiling.

''I dropped sandy off earlier, just came back to give her back her purse she forgot in the car.'' He explained outright.

Damn it! damn that fucking purse. I should have just left it at home, Beck should have just given it to Claris to keep for me. And hell no! I told mom that Claris drove me home herself. How the hell am I supposed to get out of this one.

''Alright, I guess you've given her back the purse.'' Mom's tone was really frustrating me. She should show something, she should be visibly mad, not plain and distant I'm not used to this side of her.

''Yes I have, was about leaving anyway.'' Beck answered.

''Thank you for bringing her back.''

''The pleasure is all mine ma'am.''

''Is Sophia please.''

Hell no, mom did not just imply that Beck should call her by her first name.

''Goodnight Sophia.'' Beck said smiling. Looking at my direction, he said goodnight too  which I hardly heard because of my spinning head and he left afterwards.

I ran back upstairs immediately after Beck said goodnight, I didn't want mom to meet me standing at the doorway, because nothing less than a big slap on my face would be my plight.

When I got back to my room, I slipped on my nighties and crawled under the cover and safety of my bed. For now, I'm done with any kind of showering.

I waited and waited for mom's footsteps coming towards my room, or that high pitch sound of her voice calling my name from wherever she is.

Nothing happened. her silence is more killing than her actual yelling and I yearn for that yelling.

I found my self drifting to sleep after about an hour or more of waiting for mom's outpour which was never coming. I finally dozed off and let my sleeping body worry about mom.