Chapter 6

When we finally stopped laughing, Mrs Bridge served home made cookies and lemonade and we all dug in.

After chattering among ourselves and listening to Beck talk about  his college life, I checked my time and it was almost four.

Mom would soon be here to pick me up.

''Sandy, what college did you apply for?'' Beck asked suddenly.

''Well I'll love to be a student of Valley View University at Coast Dill.'' I told him proudly.

''VVU'' Beck said, more like a question and a comment.

I didn't know if it was just a comment or a rhetoric question.

''Yea.'' I still answered.

''Well, we would be glad to welcome you.''

''Wait a minute, you are a student of Valley View?'' I asked with surprise clearly written on my face.

''Yeah. I'm studying engineering, actually in my fourth semester now.''

''Whoa, that's really cool.''

''So what are you doing here in Bon Coastal.'' I asked eagerly.

''Well, I actually came to spend last semester  break with my aunt, a special favour I promised her.'' He explained.

''Oh, so do you love Bon Costal?'' I asked smiling.

''Yeah yeah, is a cool place. I love the weather here, everybody in this neighbourhood seems to be friendly and the air here is very refreshing.'' He said taking a deep breath as if he meant to emphasize the freshness of the air.

Deep inside me, I felt an inner happiness because maybe, I would be seeing this face often when I get to college. Although that is only if he would allow it, I would definitely need a friend in college of course, and he is not a bad idea. No strings attached, he is just going to be my friend.

I checked my time and it read twenty minutes past four. What's taking mom so long, I dialled her number and it was switched off. I have to figure out how to get home before it gets too late.

''Sandy are you ok?'' Claris voice jerked me from my contemplation.

''Yeah I'm good, I'm just worried about my mom.'' I explained trying to hide my worried look.

''Why are you worried about her?''

Beck asked coming close to sit next to me.

''She was supposed to pick me up by four and it's almost five now.'' I said checking my time again.

''Don't worry, she probably missed her way back here or something.'' Claris said trying to calm me.

''But her cell phone is switched off, why is that?''

''Maybe her battery went flat.'' Beck guessed.

''How am I supposed to go home now?'' Not sure who I was throwing the question at.

''I can drive you back home.'' Beck offered.

Claris looked at him surprisingly.

''You would drive her?'' She asked raising an eyebrow.

''Yea I will, where do you live?'' He asked with concern in his voice.

''St George.'' I replied hoping he knows the place since he just came visiting and may not be familiar with the places in Bon Coastal.

''Ok. I don't know where that is.'' He said and my heart fell.

''But,'' He continued and I had hope.

''If I get to central park, could you direct me from there?''

''Very well mister, I know the way from there.'' I replied with relieve.

''Why don't  I just drive her back.'' Claris chipped in.

''You too might just end up getting LOST.'' She said emphasizing on the lost.

''Young lady, I'm a grown man and who gets lost in Bon Coastal?'' Beck asked tugging at Claris's nose.

''Get you hands off me dude, you might as well be the first lost man around here.'' Claris said slapping Beck's hand off.

''Sandy are you ready to go now?'' Beck asked waving his hands through his hair.

''Yea, I definitely am.'' I said getting up from the sofa and reaching for my phone lying on the table where I had thrown it earlier out of worrying about my mother.

''Won't you give me a hug?'' Claris asked throwing her arms open and smiling widely.

''Of course dearie.'' I smiled back hugging her.

''Ugh, enough with the hugs ladies, can we go now?'' Beck whines impatiently.

''What's the rush dude, relax.'' Claris said eyeing Beck.

''You guys are just perfect cousins,'' I chipped in between chuckles.

''It was very nice having you around today Sandy.'' Claris said squeezing my hands.

''I glad I could make it. Don't worry I'll be visiting more often now.'' I assured her.

''Take care of yourself and be good.'' She said giving me a side hug.

''Of course I will and you too. My regards to your mom.''

''Bye.''

Beck was already outside waiting for me to finish my Bye-Bye's with Claris.