An Introduction to Monsters

Silence.

It was all he had known. Since the beginning, as a young child, he had realized he was different. The other children had been able to communicate by moving their mouths. It had taken some study for him to realize there was something he was missing. Some integral part that he lacked in order to communicate with his peers.

After a little more study, and some ill fated experimentation, he had realized that their throats vibrated just like his did. It just appeared to mean more to them than it did to him. Unfortunately, reaching for peoples throats tended to drive all potential friends away.

So, he had grown up alone. An outsider looking in. Learning whatever he could by observation. He was fairly certain the adults assumed he was lesser in intelligence. It didn't really matter to him. He could get by on his own. Against all odds and problems, he would survive.

Or so he thought. His curiosity and inquisitive mind proved to be his downfall. Perhaps if he had known the reasons all the street urchins avoided particular people, and the adults gave them a wide berth, he wouldn't have ended up in the situation he was in.

That is, being grabbed up and hauled down the street by one of the men that was avoided. He was sure he hadn't done anything wrong. The man had just studied him for a long moment, then grinned wickedly, showing a most terrifying face as clawed fingers wrapped around his arm and yanked him away.

He struggled violently. Both in body and in mind, to escape and to understand. Did everyone hide wicked fangs and glowing red eyes? Did everyone hide such a stifling aura of fear? He was pretty sure he lacked that in addition to his ability to communicate if they did.

His eyes soaked up everything as he was escorted down into an establishment that sold drinks to adults. His captor did that curious mouth movement communication with the person behind the bar. Then he was being hauled through a hidden door in the back room and down into the depths. He didn't need to be told he was in a lot of trouble.

First he was handed over to a severe looking woman. He was cleaned up and dressed in a simple shift. Then he was shoved at someone else. They moved their mouth at him. He could only give them a negative shake of his head. They moved their mouth again, irritated this time. The process continued until the man was shaking him by the collar and snarling in his face.

He tried to use his hands, making gestures to try and communicate that way. The man just stared at him. Then understanding abruptly dawned. The man's lip curled in disgust and he tossed him into a cage by himself.

He looked around. There were others, also in cages. Most were young and attractive. And like him, had come off the streets where no one would miss them. Just notice a decrease in competition over the scraps of food they all needed for survival. Many of the girls were crying. The boys seemed to be split between violently trying to escape and huddling in fear.

A few others were brought in and put in cages along with the others already here. He was the only one in a cage by himself. He had to assume because he was different. He sat back and studied the fanged monsters that now controlled their lives. They were strong. Fast. And the grand majority were short on patience and cruel.

But they would occasionally communicate with their hands. It gave him hope that he could survive this yet. They were fed a bowl of gruel and given blankets for the day. He watched carefully as one of the boys got more violent than any of the others. The monster bared fangs and came over, pointing to the ground angrily.

The boy continued to throw himself against the bars of the cage, obviously not doing what he was being ordered to. The monster abruptly bent, fiddling with the lock until he could wrench the door open and yank the boy out. There was plenty of gestures, shaking and mouth movements.