13. Shattered Illusions

It had been weeks since they first made love and yet the electricity between them was still very much alive.

Sophie was sat behind Mads' breakfast bar slowly sipping her coffee before another day of work when the doorbell rang out.

She could hear the distant sounds of the running shower upstairs and the faint mumblings of a singing man in the shower. Smiling she wandered to the front door, thinking about joining him shortly.

A tall, beautiful woman stood on the other side of the door. Her face was made of stone, not even a trace of a smile could be seen on her lips.

Sophie could smell a musky sweet smell, this ladies perfume, as she pulled her hands out of her pocket, gripping a piece of paper and fully expected the thick accent to come tumbling from her lips.

Danish.

This was Mads' wife.

"Can you please go and fetch Mads." Sophie had a sneaking suspicion that this lady thought she was either the hired help or some floozy that wasn't worth her time. Either way she opened the door and let her in, showing her to the breakfast bar, just as Mads wandered in wearing little more than his shirt trousers, holding up two shirts with a questioning look on his face as he observed them.

"Do you think I should wear the white shirt or this one?"

It was then he looked up and noticed that there was in fact two women in his house.

"Hanne."

He lowered his arms in defeat, looking incredulously between Sophie and Hanne.

"I like what you've done with the place." Hanne spoke with a wobble to her voice. Sophie realised that maybe Hanne wasn't as heartless as she'd assumed.

"I'm going to leave you to it." Sophie stood up, her legs trembling beneath her. She needed some fresh air and she needed to get to work.

"I will ring you later." Mads said, not taking his eyes off his wife.

Sophie's heart felt like it was going to fall into her stomach. She collected her jacket and her purse and made her way to her car, a quick escape felt very much needed.

She trusted Mads, of course she did, but how well did she know him really? Hanne was his wife after all. What if she was just the distraction and he'd realise that he loved his wife and wanted to be with her instead? Sophie drove absentmindedly, her thoughts elsewhere.

She didn't see the car pull out of the junction and by then it was too late.