14. Bruised and slightly broken

Shaken, Sophie assessed the damage to her body mentally.

She hadn't lost consciousness. That was good.

She didn't think she'd broken anything in the collision. That was even better.

But her car. Her car was going to be a complete write-off.

Smashed completely on the drivers side, Sophie had been lucky. She hadn't been able to push open the drivers door and had had to climb out of the passengers side, just in time to hear the sirens in the distance and for a passerby to come running over to her side.

"Are you ok miss?" The man asked.

His stark blue eyes caught her, his strong jawline and prominent features made him the most handsome man since she'd met Mads.

"I, I think I'm ok." Sophie didn't recognise her voice. It was wobbly.

"I think you're in shock. Please come and sit down."

She didn't hear him, she just let him lead her to the pavement, around her damaged car and sat her down, staying with her until the paramedics arrived.

"What's your name?" He asked, clearly practicing his DR ABC medical training.

"Sophie."

"It's nice to meet you Sophie, I'm Charlie. How are you feeling?"

"I'm ok, just a bit shaken up. I'll be right as rain in a few minutes."

He still looked concerned.

"Why do you look worried?"

He stopped staring at Sophie, glanced at the floor and then back up at her with less of a glare.

"Sorry, I can't help myself. I don't usually see an accident like that every day."

She chuckled cynically.

"It's not every day I'm in an accident."

He rolled his eyes as the paramedic came rushing over.

"I wouldn't worry too much." Charlie mentioned with a grin on his face, "her sarcasm facilities are intact."

Shoving his hands in his pockets as he was unable to offer any further assistance, Charlie took a few tentative steps backwards, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet, seemingly waiting for Sophie to get the all clear before taking his leave.

The paramedic clicked off her light and stood up, helping Sophie to her feet.

"It looks like you're just battered and bruised from the collision. You're incredibly lucky Miss Hughes."

The paramedic passed Sophie a note with the other drivers contact details on.

"Do you have a ride home?" She asked, rubbing Sophie's shoulder.

Charlie held up a hand.

"I was rather hoping I would be able to help you get home. That is, if you don't mind?"

Sophie shrugged. Her mind was elsewhere thinking about Mads and his wife and what they could be doing.

"Let's go." She nodded, looping her arm around Charlie's.

After pointing him in the right direction, Charlie had begun the slow tentative walk with Sophie on her arms, more for comfort than actual support. He smelt of oak.

"It sucks about your car." He mentioned.

"Mhmm." Sophie started, unsure how to go on, "I'm going to have to get a new one which is a slight inconvenience. You don't have to walk me anywhere by the way, I'm late for work."