5. Electric kisses

“Woah! Be careful.” Sophie said, getting up from the bar stool.

Mads was leaning against the bar chuckling to himself.

“Can I say something?”

“Well you've been saying a whole bunch of somethings all night, why should I stop you now?”

Mads held a hand to Sophie's chin and kissed her gently, his lips turning up into a smile as he pulled away.

“I haven't had this much fun in a very long time.”

Sophie grinned back.

“Mr Mikkelsen, you are drunk. And yet somehow incredibly charming. How is that possible?”

He smiled. His eyes were getting a bit blurry and every care seemed to be slipping one by one out of the window.

Sophie somehow was more sober than Mads and could see how much the drink had gotten to him.

“I'm really sorry to postpone the charm but would you join me outside for a cigarette?”

“I can't believe you're still coherent after that much whiskey.”

“I can't believe you're not that drunk after that much whiskey.”

Sophie took Mads' hand and led him outside, stumbling as they both tripped over the step leading to the patio.

Mads pulled a packet of Marlboro's from his pocket and a silver zippo and lit a fresh cigarette. He exhaled slowly, looking up at the dark night sky. Sophie felt her heart race.

The patio was empty. It was the beginning of November and the days had become quite a lot colder and guests to the pub tended to stay inside, only nipping out for a hasty cigarette.

Mads perched on the table as he continued to burn away his cigarette, he stretched backwards.

“Don't you just love the night sky?”

Sophie was shivering now and Mads noticed and pulled her on the table with him, his body incredibly warm.

“Do you know which ones are the plough?” Sophie asked.

“Someone showed me a long time ago but I couldn't point them out.”

“Ah well, that's where I come in handy. You see those three stars there? They're pretty close to one another. Yeah? Well follow them across and you'll see a diamond shape, they're all part of the plough.”

Mads nodded and looked at Sophie as she looked at the sky.

Sophie looked back at Mads and their eyes met in the middle. Mads leant in cautiously for a kiss, looking down at her lips and then back at her eyes as if questioning her, of course the answer was yes. All Sophie could taste was whiskey and cigarettes, Mads had a beautifully oaky taste to his lips. Sophie placed a hand either side of his hips as he pulled her head closer with his free hand. Meanwhile his cigarette burnt out slowly.

When they pulled apart Mads rested his forehead against Sophie's, something Sophie had never experienced before, he barely kissed her once more and then pulled away looking at his cigarette. He stubbed it out, thinking it was a lost cause and bounced up from the table, as if energised.

“Wow, did kissing me have a magical sobering up power?” Sophie asked, actually feeling more drunk.

“Nope! Ha! But wow Sophie, wow! Please say I can see you again after tonight?”

“Of course you can! What would make you think you couldn't? You certainly haven't put me off.”

Mads took her hand and led her back inside as she had started to shiver again.

“How about one last game of pool and then I'll book us a taxi home?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

When Mads had dropped Sophie off he sighed, all his worries and concerns about his ex-wife had dissolved, he had worries about whether or not Sophie would change her mind about meeting him again but they made him feel alive rather than drained.

Sophie sighed at her closed door. She felt electric. Mads had shown her what a real date could be like, she had been wasting her time with her ex and it was nice to finally realise that. He had been an absolute waste of space. Sophie just hoped that Mads would call her again.