6. Breakfast

Sophie threw her covers forward and sat up, her hair in an extremely messy bun as her phone went off on the table right beside her ear. Nothing could wake Sophie up in the morning better than a good scare.

“Hello?” She answered, her eyes wide as she yawned.

“Hello gorgeous. How are you this morning?” It was Mads, and the time was barely seven.

“How are you even awake at this time? It's barely light outside!”

She heard him chuckle on the other end of the phone.

“I couldn't sleep so technically I never woke up.”

“Oh. You're not drunk then still are you?” Sophie asked, rubbing her eyes and pulling her hand away to see mascara streaks.

“I didn't drink that much last night did I?”

“Oh I think we must have finished a bottle's worth of whiskey last night.”

Mads laughed.

“So what's so important that you had to wake me up at the crack of dawn?”

“I was wondering if you fancied going for breakfast somewhere?”

As if on cue her stomach rumbled. She sighed,

“Sure. But you owe me two extra hours of sleep.”

“Will a large cup of coffee do for now?”

Sophie hummed, agreeing.

“I'll stop by and pick you up at 8?”

“See you then.”

Shit, Sophie thought, I have just under an hour to get ready. What does anyone wear for a breakfast date anyway?

She was untangling her knotted hair when there was a knock at the door.

“Shit.” She swore, resorting to desperate measures. She threw her hair into a ponytail and headed to the door.

Mads wore his smart casual trousers and t-shirt. In his hands he held a small bouquet of yellow and orange flowers which he passed over.

Of course he would get me flowers, she thought taking them from him.

“Thank you! That was unexpected.” She couldn't in fact remember the last time anyone had bought her flowers, not including the time that her mum bought her a cactus when she moved into her apartment.

“Erm,” She shuffled her feet. She knew her flat was a mess but she couldn't leave him on her doorstep, “do you want to come in?”

“I would love to.”

“Bare in mind that I didn't have a lot of time to get ready and everything is everywhere.”

“So you're trying to blame me for your flat being a mess? I hardly think that's fair.”

She scooped up a pile of clothes and chucked them in the bedroom before shutting the door and the mess away. Mads watched her, chuckling to himself.

Sophie hushed Mads, raising her eyebrows.

He held his hands up in apology but was still smiling at her.

“So are you ready now you've chucked all your things into one room?”

“Nearly,” she answered, ignoring the remark, “Just have to grab my handbag. Do you think I should take my work things just in case we're a long time?”

“If you like. We shouldn't be too long, I have to be at my attourney's office at ten o'clock.”

She picked up the bag from behind her sofa.

“Have you done something wrong Mr Mikkelsen?” She questioned, urging him to walk out of her front door.

“My wife is divorcing me. I have a few things to arrange.”

“Oh.” Sophie said, looking at Mads and then looking away. Suddenly she didn't feel as confident about their date as she had been.

Mads sensed this and looked her in the eyes.

“It's been a long drawn out process but it by no means makes you less important, in fact, it's you who makes me smile. I feel a lot happier when I'm with you. Last night was incredible and I had so much fun.”

“Shall we go?” Sophie asked, looking at her feet.

“Sophie. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, I thought it would ruin things.”

“You're married Mads.” She said simply.

“I was.”

“Look. Mads, I just don't want to be that girl who kept you entertained. I'm looking for someone who cares about me.”

“I do care about you Sophie and the last few days have been amazing. Don't you feel it between us? It's like I finally feel alive.”

Sophie looked at Mads.

“I do want to believe you, I really do.”

“What can I do to prove that I care?”

She took a deep breath in, held it and released it slowly.

“Make me feel special. I want to see what you see in me.”

Mads brushed a loose strand of her hair behind her ear.

“Let me take you for breakfast.”