10 Whiskey and Scrabble

Sophie was careful not to trip over the hem of her dress as she stepped into the room, it was an elegant entrance hall, long wooden floors swept down and around to the right, behind the feature staircase. Again Sophie felt as if she were dreaming. Mads took her hand and led her into the living room where several people were sat chatting, drinks in their hand. As she looked she could see, and she knew because after her first meeting with Mads she had watched a couple of episodes, cast members from Hannibal: Hugh Dancy, his wife and Laurence Fishburne to name a few.

Mads cleared his throat for everyone’s attention and Sophie swore her heart was actually going to beat out of her chest.

“Hello everyone, I’d like to introduce my date for this evening: Miss Sophie Hughes.”

Many of the guests had said a variation on ‘lovely to meet you’ and in the confusion she bowed a little bit as if in thanks, realised what she was doing and blushed.

Mads looked at Sophie’s warm cheeks and chuckled under his breath,

“Shall we get a drink?”

She nodded vigorously after all the faces had returned to each other.

Sophie took the tumbler of whiskey and took a large sip. Mads didn’t take her eyes off her as he took a smaller sip from his glass. He could see she was scared, he didn’t know what for, these were only people after all, but he knew what it was like to be anxious. A thought crossed his mind that maybe he shouldn’t have brought her here, but he brushed it away, he could make her feel comfortable, he knew it.

He put his glass on the coffee table and pulled Sophie’s hand as they sat down with Hugh and his wife.

“So you seriously believe that you can beat me at scrabble?” Hugh had just asked Claire.

“Too right I can.” She laughed.

“How about it then? Shall we all give it a go so I can beat my wife? At Scrabble that is.” He laughed, scratching the back of his neck.

“I’ll get the board.” Mads smiled, getting up.

“And this time, no cheating with Danish words no one’s ever heard of Mads.” Added Hugh.

Mads just smiled wider and left the room.

“I’m going to need another drink if I’m going to play this.” Hugh said, walking over to the whiskey pourer.

Claire slid across the sofa gracefully next to Sophie. 

“You’re very quiet Sophie. Is something the matter?”

She shook her head and smiled,

“I just haven’t been to a party this elegant before, with this many famous people.”

Claire nodded knowingly.

“Well we’re not monsters, we’re just people who happen to know other people. Anyway,” she cleared her throat and smiled, “tell me how you met Mads.”

“He literally knocked me over.” Sophie raised her eyebrows at Claire.

“What with his car?!”

“No, no! He walked around this corner and bumped into me and I fell over.”

“And then he asked you out after that?” it was her turn to raise her eyebrows.

“I suppose it sounds strange, when you put it like that.” Sophie giggled nervously and rubbed the back of her neck. Hugh came back and sat down with his full glass,