Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"Judging from the way you're tearing that apart, your date didn't go well last night, did it?"

I paused, turning to see Anza approaching me from across the training room. Dressed in a dark purple sports bra and tight black yoga pants with her hair pulled into a tight ponytail as she ate the last bite of a McDonalds breakfast sandwich. I sighed, glancing at the punching bag to see that I'd literally almost torn it open with rapid fire punches. I rubbed at my bruised knuckles under my fingerless gloves, glancing around the training room to see that Dev was nowhere to be seen.

"He tried to kiss me." I muttered at last and repeated to slamming my fists into the punching bag, focusing on the dull throbbing pain in my knuckles. Anza arched a brow.

"That's it?" She asked. I scowled at her, stepping back to avoid getting whacked by the punching bag as I steadied it.

"What'd you mean that's it? He tried to kiss me. He got pissed and left me standing there." I answered, frowning at her. Anza shrugged and came over to touch the punching bag over the tear before she looked around, lifting a brow slowly.

"You must have hurt his feelings," She said, making me blink in confusion, "He would've skip a day of Raven stalking no matter how much you paid him." I frowned for a moment, stepping back to let Anza have at the punching bag with quick punches and roundhouse kicks. I hated the guilt that pooled like ice cold water into my stomach.

I hadn't meant to hurt his feelings. My intention was to make a point. There was no way we could sleep together. We worked together. For crying out loud, I was his boss. He was lust. And I just couldn't do relationships very well, especially if I knew that I would wake up alone in the morning and for some reason the idea of that hurt. I didn't want to tell Dev that, of course. The last thing I needed was confessing a vulnerability to him.

But still, I couldn't help, but feel guilty for being so cold towards him. Maybe a simple no thanks would've been better... But he would've ignored it, right? I had to be firm, otherwise, he'd never get the hint. If anything, he was probably at his apartment with some girl he found on the way home last night.

And that pissed me off.

"I'm going to go check on him." I stated, walking past Anza, who watched me walk away. She smirked and shook her head, returning to her training. I left her to it as I didn't bother changing into my uniform, leaving on the tank top and sweatpants, just grabbing my black leather jacket and throwing it on with my boots before I made my way out of the training center, a few soldiers waving to me on the way out. I nodded my head to them before I took down the street to the apartment district of Portius. Portius was a nice city, generally pretty quiet and laid back. It was where a good portion of our army lived. Most of the bachelors anyway. The apartments were always being filled by new soldiers, and the suburban homes on the other side of the main street filled by newly wed soldiers and their coming children.

Dev lived in a seven story apartment complex on the third floor. The complex was a pale blue and relatively modern with a small green yard along the side walk with gardens of blue flowers running the length. I entered the complex and checked in with the front desk before I made my way upstairs to Dev's apartment room. I knocked on the door, holding my breath when I heard footsteps coming toward the door. They sounded too small to be Dev's, and a sliver of pain shot through me.

Had I been right? Did he really just pick up some chick after he went on a date with me?

The door open and the relief that hit me was tangible. Instead of some woman, it was a small boy around the age of twelve or so, with a head of long dirty blonde hair and deep brown eyes behind a pair of black framed glasses that matched his Neurotic Demon shirt and boxers.