Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I woke up in a cold sweat.

My heart was beating violently up toward my throat and my breathing was ragged. I woke up engulfed in my blankets and struggled to kick them off me. I rolled out from beneath the clothes and knocked over the shoes, scrambling to my feet with a dagger gripped so tightly in my fist that my knuckles were white. I panted hard, blinking rapidly as my eyes easily adjusted to the dark. I looked around the closet, realizing I was alone.

There weren't strangers in my closet. No one had been touching me. No one breathing on me.

I took deep gulps of air and dropped the dagger, stumbling toward the closet doors and throwing them open as I made my way across the cold marble floor to the balcony for an attempt to get to fresh air. I opened the balcony windows and stepped outside until I reached the railing. The moment I reached it, I leaned over the edge and vomited into the calm sea below.

I grimaced, clutching at my stomach before peering up to see the sun steadily rising over the horizon. Its blended hues of oranges, reds, blues, and purples stretched across the sky, blanketing the night. It was reflected back in the dark murky water of the Black Sea below. Waves crashed and licked at the cliff side my balcony was settled in. I closed my eyes, breathing in the sweet salty scent of it and the clean morning air that filled my lungs before I exhaled.

I wiped the back of my hand across my mouth, stepping away from the railing before any suicidal tendencies grabbed a hold of me. I retreated back into my room, debated going back to sleep, then gave up. I'd spent far too much time sleeping this past year. I needed to do something, so I found myself showering up and dressing in a thin turtleneck, a pair of sweatpants, gloves, and socks. I grabbed my boots and laced them up, slicked wet curls back from my face and made my way out of the palace and toward the training center in Portius.

The work out there was oddly soothing.

I picked up on the warm roasted beans of coffee, rich donuts and breakfast foods, and the salty sea air that followed me down the road. I had stopped for a coffee and enjoyed the rich flavor of chicory and warm milk. It took me half an hour to reach the training center where I stopped at one of the vending machines for a protein bar before I took my time heading to the main training area.

I was a little nervous about entering, but I was relieved to find it empty when I arrived. Of course, I'd be the first one. It was six in the morning. All the other soldiers would think I was crazy coming in this early, and maybe I was, but I'd rather beat at a punching bag while half-asleep than trying to actually fall back to sleep after that nightmare.

I could still feel cold chills racing up and down my spine. I shuddered and quickly brushed them off as I swung my leg around and knocked the punching bag aside. I beat it vigorously, sending months of pain charging through my blood, fueling my vigor until I heard the doors to the training center open. I jumped, startled and turned to see Dev entering just in time for the punching bag to whack me and knock me flat on my back.

I grunted, then groaned, rolling over and getting to my feet. Dev stood in the doorway, his head cocked before he cleared his throat, looking awkward.

"Sorry." He muttered, turning to leave, but I wasn't going to let him get away from me that easily.

"Dev, wait!" I called, pushing away from the punching bag and heading over to him. He stopped, but didn't turn to look at me. A twinge of pain started in my chest, but I didn't let that stop me as I approached him.

"Dev, about yesterday," I said, shifting a bit uncomfortably, "I'm sorry. That was really rude of me, but you caught me off guard. I told you to stop jumping me like that." Dev blinked a few times, then turned to face me. I held my breath, hesitating as I took in the size of him. Now that I got a closer look at him in just a tank top and sweatpants, he was much bigger than the last time I saw him, or maybe I just never noticed. He was taller than me by a few inches, and he'd definitely gotten buffer. His muscles were hard and well-defined. It was enough to make my mouth water for a bite. The lust that had struck me each time I came in contact with him swept through me again, burning me to the core of my body. My muscles ached and twitched suddenly, my heart rate skipping a beat and thundering into overdrive at the thought of pushing him down on the bed and straddling that narrow waist. The hunger struck me so hard that it scared me. I stepped away from Dev, clearing my throat and gesturing to the ring across the room.