Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I woke up the next morning to the sound of music.

It was such a strange thing to hear. Not that the camp was generally void of music, but theirs was usually foul and crude and cringe-worthy. This sound was very soft and soothing. It almost succeeded in lulling me back to sleep, but I shifted in the bed and felt the thick soft warm blankets around me. I blinked my eyes open sleepily, focusing in on the white panel ceiling over my head. I frowned at it for a moment, then turned my head to see sunlight pouring in through the window into the room.

My eyes widened at the sight of it. Like gold ribbons plunging through the glass window and spreading out onto the floor. Even better was the stream that had laid itself out on the edge of the bed I was laying in. I swallowed hard and rolled on my side to face it, then looked beyond the sunlight to see Hannibal sitting in a chair across the room, facing the bed.

He was fast asleep, his head resting against the dresser, his arms folded over his chest. He wouldn't notice if I moved a little bit.

I scooted closer to the edge of the bed, creeping my hand out from under the blanket and laying it across the warm spot on the bed where the sunlight pooled. It was so warm and soft against my skin. I closed my eyes and savored the feel of it. I wanted to feel it on my face.

I shifted until my face was under the sun and closed my eyes, feeling the beauty of it tickling my skin. I didn't want to move from this. I could stay in this spot forever. But something strange spread over me.

I opened my eyes slowly and focused past the sunlight to see Hannibal staring at me. My eyes widened and I quickly shrank back from the edge of the bed until my back was pressed flush to the stone wall behind me. He didn't say anything. He just stared for a moment, then eventually rose to his feet. I swallowed hard, curling up and pulling the blanket closer, tucking it around me in case he tried to wrench it off me.

But he didn't. He moved past the bed to the closet and opened the doors to reveal a nice row of clothing inside. I watched, expecting him to take out a pair of clothes and change, but he didn't. Instead, he took down a large mauve colored sweater and a pair of black leggings. He tossed them on the bed beside me, then stepped back.

It took me a moment to realize he wanted me to change. He always did things so silently.

But my throat closed at the thought of undressing in front of him. Not that it would matter. Julius never let me dress on my own. He always had to dress me. He didn't trust me, and well he shouldn't. But now I would get to dress myself.

Hannibal just stared at me expectantly for a moment longer, then turned and went to the door of the room. He opened it, then closed it behind him. I stared after him, confused. I waited a good few minutes for him to come back, but he didn't. I think he was giving me privacy, but I couldn't be sure as I hadn't had privacy in a long time. I slowly pushed the blankets back, then paused to see that the IV and heart monitor were unplugged and no longer held me prisoner. I slid out from under the blankets and moved on the balls of my feet to the end of the bed where the clothes rested.

I looked back at the door cautiously, then back at the clothes. They were a little girly, but they were better than nothing. I pulled the shirt off over my head and tugged the sweater on, amazed at how soft it was against my skin. I grabbed the leggings and pulled them, then went back to the bed and laid down, waiting in silence for Hannibal to come back.

He didn't come back for a while. I was starting to wonder what happened.

But after a couple of hours, he finally opened the door and came inside with a plate of warm waffles and a bottle of syrup. My eyes widened at that. But I didn't move. His breakfast looked so good. It was making my stomach cramp up, even though I'd pigged out the night before. I just laid there and watched as he set the tray up beside the bed and put the food on it. He set it there, then went to the chair across the room and sat down. I looked at it, confused, then over at Hannibal, who stared at me blankly.