Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

"We left your room the way it was." Lucifer told me as he opened the door to my bedroom.

I froze in the doorway, staring inside in shock. When he said they left it the way it was after I had been kidnapped, they were right. Even my bed was unbed after I had flung out of it in a hurry. My glass of water still sat on the nightstand beside my partially read copy of a mystery novel, whose name I couldn't remember for the life of me. My balcony was still open, the white drapes fluttering gently in the breeze that wafted inside like a soft nip. Even my closet was still opened with clothes strewn everywhere after Anza and I had tried to pick out my clothes for that silly date I'd had with Dev.

My heart lodged in my throat and I didn't trust myself to speak, so I walked in slowly, placing my duffel bag down near the bed. I touched the mattress, soft and feathery. There was even a french fry just under one of the folds from Anza on my date night. I almost laughed at that. They were so afraid of ruining my presence here that they had left a fry in here? Gross! But it still managed to amuse me and warm my heart.

I stepped away from the bed and moved to the closet, pushing the door open further and walking in to stoop down, grabbing up a silky black shirt and holding it up to realize that I wouldn't be able to fit into it anymore. I carefully folded it up and tossed it onto one of the shoe benches beneath the racks before I moved towards the bathroom. Inside, everything was right where I left it. The comb Anza had used to attack my hair was still sitting on the counter with strands of my hair in it. I left the bathroom and came into my bedroom.

Lucifer was just watching me in silence, like he was trying to read me, but I was keeping my expression stoic so he wouldn't pick up on the pain it caused me to walk around a room that, while it belonged to me, felt like a stranger's room.

I went to the balcony and stepped outside, taking the full blast of the cool air outside. I looked down at the Black Sea that raged and tossed itself around below, signalling that a storm was moving from across the sea. I lifted my eyes to stare across that vast black spill that separated this land from Hades. I wondered if the storm was in Inferi right now, pounding the floor to ceiling windows in the living room of the mansion I had come to call home.

And for a split second, a scary thought flashed through my mind.

The first time I had stepped out onto the porch that looked out over the sea back at the mansion, I had debated throwing myself over the railing and letting that endless black sea swallow me and steal the battered soul inside me.

And even now, I had this twitch to just pull myself over and smash into the rocks below.

I swallowed hard and stepped back from the balcony, coming back into the room and closing the doors behind me just as the first rain droplets began to pitter-patter on the balcony outside. I came to stand in the middle of the room, looking around until I stared at Lucifer, who stared back at me.

"What?" I asked, unnerved by his unblinking stare. Did he know already? Was he picking my brain to find out?

"Nothing," Lucifer murmured after a moment, then shook his head and came over to hug me again and I resisted that instinctual urge to pull away, "I just can't fathom how happy I am to have you back home where you belong, Raven." I didn't know what to say, so I let him hold me until he stepped back and reached up to brush the hair back from my face. He studied me, like he was searching my face for answers, but I didn't dare let him see any.

"Devereaux," He said suddenly, moving away from me, making me frown, "You might want to go see him." The way he said that was a bit eerie. Did Dev blame himself like Anza did? Why was I even questioning it? Dev was more likely to do it than Anza was. I just nodded. Lucifer studied me for a while, smiling. He touched my cheek again and I felt my eye twitch. Curiosity spread across Lucifer's face, and to avoid his questions, I stepped back and cleared my throat.