Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I really do not need to see a therapist and if you suggest it one more time, I swear to God, I'm going to set this place on fire."

Two weeks after we'd ended the war, my family had done exactly what I expected them to do. Well, maybe not exactly, but pretty darn close. Jaques was calling me morning, noon, and night to check up on me as if he were my mother. Lucifer poked into my room every so often. Dania was calling me as she went on yet another misadventure around the world with her trusty sidekicks, and poor Alexis was dragged along for the hellish ride. Bali and Wednesday had returned to Gehenna, and took upon themselves to insist on a Skype visit at least twice a week to discuss how I was doing. Even Thorn was using the Internet more often so he could keep in contact with me after he'd returned to Purgatory.

And now, Jaques was stalking me at the gym as I beat the living crap out of one of the punching bags with right hooks and side kicks. Though, it was awfully tempting to turn on Jaques, who glared at me as he took on his high and mighty posture. His arms folded over his chest, causing the casual black v-neck shirt to tighten around his muscles, and his legs set apart so the leather of his pants creaked when he moved.

"Raven, this isn't healthy," Jaques insisted, making me roll my eyes, "You need to talk to someone about everything. And I mean everything. If you won't talk to one of us, at least talk to a professional who by law is required to maintain patient/doctor confidentiality." I scoffed and caught the punching bag before it could hit me and turned to face Jaques.

"Jaques, I am perfectly fine. And I mean it. For the first time in a really fucking long time, I'm feeling great. Everything is just great." I said tightly. Jaques arched his brows and feigned surprise, pushing out his lower lip before smacking his lips skeptically.

"Okay. Then how's your relationship with Dev, huh? How's that going?" He asked. I hesitated. It was so odd to hear someone refer to it as a relationship, and not the friendly or worker relationship we once had. No, Dev and I were officially dating. After having an extensive talk, Dev agreed that he would happily abide by my personal rules and avoid anything that would make me uncomfortable.

So sure, maybe ninety percent of those rules consisted of not touching me beneath the clothes, but Dev respected my terms and I was grateful for that. I let him kiss me and hug me whenever he wanted now without shuddering or cringing anymore. I'd say I'd done some great progress by now. I don't see why people had to be so interested in my sex life... or lack thereof. Which I liked that way. Just fine.

"Fine. Great." I told Jaques shortly. He narrowed his eyes at me, obviously not pleased with my answer and I was getting annoyed the longer we stood there discussing it. What did he want me to do? Break down and confess everything and how it made me feel? I'm pretty sure it was obvious how it made me feel. I was comfortable with the way things were now. I didn't need to become sexually intimate with Dev to prove that I cared about him, and vice versa. And Dev had permission to leave this relationship any time he wanted to.

"Oh yeah," Jaques said slowly, scanning me from head to toe and pissing me off further, "Where'd you guys go last night?" I clenched my teeth.

"Pizza Hut."

"Are you kidding me?"

"What? I was in the mood for something hot and greasy. Pizza Hut seemed to be a good idea."

"And what did you do after?"

"We went to see a movie."

"Which one?"

"The one with Tom Cruise."

"And after?"

"We went on a killing spree and ate babies." I snapped. Jaques threw his hands up in exasperation as I brushed past him and went to my locker. I had just about enough of him jumping all over me. He was the worst out of everyone lately. I almost wished he'd just go back to his wife and kids. What about them? Wasn't he a father and a husband? Wasn't that a full time job? I shook my head as I opened my locker, ignoring Jaques tirade about how I was being childish and I needed help when I saw movement out the corner of my eye and turned my head to see Dev coming into the gym and instantly my mood brightened at the sight of him.