Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Saying goodbye was oddly harder than I thought it would be.

I'd spent so many months with these people, but it felt like I'd known them for eternity. People I had never even met before in my life had risked their own to save mine. I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to repay that kind of kindness. If there were more people like them in the world, maybe, just maybe, there would be less wars and I could actually pick up a damn hobby.

Cain had dutifully removed the brand from beneath my foot-- none too kindly, might I add, but it didn't matter. As long as it was gone. There was still a scar there that ached, but he assured me that no one was going to be looking at the underside of my foot. A very un-Cain thing to do and when I pointed it out, he'd flipped me off and left the room.

I didn't punch him, as tempting as it was. He'd given me my freedom, so I'd give him a free pass. But next time that prick spat in my face, I was going to give him a beating not even plastic surgery could fix.

It was hard to say goodbye to Abel, Akin, and Jahlia as well. All of them were like a security blanket to me. Even when I told myself I didn't need comforting, it was strangely okay when they did it. Akin had cried when I left and told me to contact him as soon as possible. I assumed saying goodbye was a lot harder for him than anyone else.

The last person I said goodbye to was Hannibal.

I felt guilty for having ganged up on him about Abel and I wasn't about to leave things with heated tension. I'd eventually found him in the gym, punching at the punching bag with gauze wrapped hands that were lightly stained in blood, making me grimace

"Hannibal?" I asked. Hannibal paused, steadying the bag before glancing over his shoulder at me in stoic silence. How I envied his ability to look so calm and cool. I hoped I could gain that kind of attitude by the time I got home to avoid any unnecessary questions.

"I'm leaving." I said after a moment. Hannibal stared at me for a moment longer, then turned to the punching bag again. I bit my bottom lip, taking a step toward him. He faced me a second later, eyeing me warily. I hesitated. He obviously didn't like anyone getting to close to him, and I could sympathize with that, so instead, I held my hand out to him. He frowned at it like he was unsure of what to do. When I wiggled my hand a little, realization dawned on his face and he gave me a dry stare.

"I'm sorry," I said at last, making Hannibal frown, "And I don't apologize often, but I know when I'm wrong. I shouldn't have attacked you the other day. It was rude and insensitive of me. I don't want to leave with this kind of tension between us. You helped me in more ways than you could ever know and for that, I'm truly grateful. I hope next time we meet, it'll be on better circumstances." Hannibal stared at me for a while longer, then tilted his head.

"Only Akin's ever apologized to me."

"Well, now we both have." I replied. Hannibal hesitated a moment longer, then reached out and took my hand. I gave him a firm handshake and he returned it before we stepped apart. Hannibal went back to training and I left.

Abel was the one to teleport me to the end of the pass that led to the gates of Hell. It was a strange feeling to not be at the mansion anymore. It had only been a year and a few months, but I suddenly felt like a stranger here. Even though everything looked the same. The steep mountains that ran jagged on either side of the narrow pass that would eventually open up widely into empty fields to the gates, which were just a name really. It was a typical road that went into Portius, but it was heavily guarded by both snipers, Sins, and other private guards. I would have to approach slowly in order to avoid being shot.