Chapter three...

10 minutes passed and we made it to the park, it would have been a good hour or so if I had been alone. He turned to me and made sure I was good.

'Are you okay here or do you want me to do anything more?' he signs. I can tell he gets confused at the signs so I sign back.

'I can read lips too if that's better.' He nods and speaks.

"I don't have anything to do so I can stay if you want." He offers kindly. He doesn't seem bad so I nod gratefully.

We sit at a bench silently, well it's always silent for me but, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a pack of cigarettes and I light. I watch him, interested, until he holds one to me.

I shake my head, although hesitantly. He chuckles as I look up to him.

His eyes crinkle around the edge and his perfect white teeth are showing, the first time in a while someone felt free to laugh around me in a few years. Shrugging he placed the pack back into the inner pocket of his blazer.

It was at this time I took in how he looked, a fancy black suit and shiny shoes, his tie loosened slightly and top button undone exposing his collarbone slightly, his hair is falling into his face slightly as he leans forward to light the fag.

You've probably gathered from this that I am indeed gay. It's a hard life, only Henry knows and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Matthew taps my shoulder and holds out a pen and paper. I take it and write hurriedly.

'I'm Joshua I'm 17 and we just moved here, my brother is great and I should probably text him but I wanted to get away. I don't know how long I've been out but he is probably worried.'

I handed the small notepad back to him and grabbed my phone from the bench.

I looked and saw many texts from Henry. All asking where I am or if I'm okay, I reply to his most recent with a short message of 'I'm okay, I'll get home soon don't worry' I know he will though.

I turn to Matthew and watch as he takes a drag and glances at me, I reach over and grab the cigarette between my fingers, looking at it curiously I placed it to my lips and breathe in deeply. The toxic smoke filling my lungs is surprisingly warm and comforting.

I hand it back to Matthew as I stand up, I turn to him and see the cigarette placed between his lips. 'I'm going back.' I sign and turn to see if I can make it back.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and see Matthew handing me what I assume is his phone, a new contact being made with my name at the top, awaiting a number. Looking into his eyes I realise he actually wants my number... WHAT... I take the phone and type in my mobile number, handing it back I see that true smile again making running away worth it.

I turn on my heels and rush away from the park.

Finding myself in familiar land around 40 minutes later, I finally know where on earth I'm going. Rounding the corner I see my road, further down I see Henry sat on the curb, head down staring at his phone screen.

Moving closer towards him I make my footsteps heavier so he hears me, luckily, he does and turns to see me. Relief and anger written across his face, I hold a hand up to explain before he can get a word out of his already open mouth.

'They said something, I got mad, I ran and got lost' I paused not knowing if I should tell him I was going to leave. As I looked to his face I knew I should. 'I was going to get on a train, but I changed my mind and then met a nice guy who helped me.' I finished hurriedly.

"Oh my god..." he said, "Please just tell me where you are next time, you have no idea how scared I was. If I had lost you too, oh my god." He spoke clearly so I could follow his words.

'I'm sorry, I won't leave you.' I signed, smiling softly as tears threatened to spill.

I turned to the house, as did Henry, and saw Aunt Maggie. She looked on the verge of tears, rushing over she pulled us both into a huge mama hug.

I could feel her jaw moving but obviously I have no idea what nonsense she's spouting. She pulled away and looked to me, she apologised for her daughters and said that she punished them greatly.

I know that should be enough but they should just know not to say something like that... it's just wrong.

I'm definitely never going to get along with them, never ever. I glance at Henry and see he's already walking inside I follow quickly after him, hiding behind him as we walk through the front door.

I spot the girls sat on the sofa, being lectured by their father. I walk with my hand tightly gripped to the hem of Henry's shirt. He looked to me and we smiled slightly to each other, brought away from him by a buzz from my pocket I released his shirt and pulled my phone out.

Hey this is josh right? I read the text

Yea it is I replied quickly, Matthew?

Oh cool it's Matthew J

Oohhh nice thanks for texting

No worries love

I turned my phone off and chased after Henry.

I have a good feeling about Matthew.

He seems... nice.

Պx