Chapter 3

Jay^^

Jay's POV

"Enough! Training is done for the day." My dad's voice bellowed at everyone. I pushed off of my pinned down Beta. I offered him a hand to pull him up but he refused. He's been acting weird the past couple of days. My birthday is in two days and usually, Carson and I are hanging out 24/7 before either of our birthdays, but he's distancing himself from me. It hurts.

"Mon Ami, what's been up with you lately? You've been avoiding me." I questioned Carson as I wiped my body down with a towel.

"Nothing." Was his short answer. Something has been bugging him for days now and it was taking a toll on him. He started locking his door so I couldn't come in in the mornings, he stopped talking to me for the most part, and he wasn't eating; I could tell he was becoming skinnier than he already was and that worried both my wolf and me. He was my Beta and best friend, I needed to make sure he was okay.

"I know that's a lie. Now tell me, what. Is. Wrong?" I growled out. He was starting to piss me off with his somewhat careless attitude towards me and everyone else. My beta just shook my head before taking off in a sprint in the direction of the packhouse. I was going to follow him but my father stopped me.

"Jamison, can we talk for a minute?" He asked using my full name that he loved oh so much. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes knowing he would probably hit the back of my head for it. Nodding, I followed him into the woods that surrounded our training area.

"You're going to be meeting your mate soon." Was the first thing that came out of his mouth. I felt a smile tug at the corners of my mouth at the reminder.

"Yeah," I said happily. My father laughed lightly at the tone of my voice as we continued walking.

"After you will be becoming alpha, and Carson as a beta soon after, so you two need to make up." I was about to say something but my father continued. "I don't know what's been going on, but you need to try and fix it. You'll be finding your mate soon and they will then be your top priority, don't try and wait to fix your relationship. You've been best friends with him since you were born, keep it that way." He finished before stopping in the middle of the woods. He was right, I needed to figure out what was on Carson's mind.

"Here," my father said while handing me a ring. It was my mom's ring actually. "It's a family tradition for the next alpha to give this to their mate and then before their kids 18th birthday give it to them for their mate. It's gonna be the 16th time it happened." My father told me a little background on the simple gold ring with a heart-shaped diamond in the middle.

"Thank you," I whispered before putting the ring in my pocket and walking in the direction of the packhouse. My father stayed behind because he had patrol tonight so I walked back by myself.

All I could think about was how Carson has been acting lately. I mean he's been really off. I know his mother has been on him a bit more than usual but it's something more. There's more to it. It's always been him and me against the world, and now I don't even know. He locks his door, doesn't eat meals with us, never talks to me, and he just acting really...wrong. And lately, that's the only thing that's been on my mind, it's always me trying to make sure he's okay and trying to keep him happy. I needed him to be happy all the time.

As I was walking up to my room I started to heard cries coming from, what seemed to be, Carson's room. Once I got up to the top floor where our rooms were I could hear the cries more and more, they were more like sobs. I quietly walked over to Carson's room and listened to the broken sounds that left his mouth. He was muttering something to himself but I couldn't hear what it was.

I wanted to go in and comfort him, but knowing him he'd freak out and close himself down even more. I slid down the wall next to his door and just sat there listening to him. He was my best friend and he was currently breaking down inside of his room. And I did nothing.

It took about fifteen minutes before he finally stopped crying. My wolf was whining at the sounds that had been coming out of my betas mouth. That's why I never wanted to hear my mate cry; if my beta was making my this worked up I didn't even want to know what my mate could do.

I waited until I heard him get in the shower before I walked over to my room. I was in physical pain from hearing my ami cry; I guess an alpha-beta thing. I walked into my bathroom before stripping and getting into the shower. I made sure to take the ring out and put in my dresser too. I'll never understand why some people take so long to get their water at the 'perfect' temperature, it takes me like a minute.

My mind was spinning at a million miles a minute.

I just wanted to know what was wrong with Carson. We used to tell each other everything, but now I feel like he wants as little to do with me as possible. And my father was right, which isn't something I say often, but I needed to fix whatever was going on between us. I was turning 18 in two days and then I'd be finding my mate and they'd be the only thing I worried about. My entire life would revolve around them. The bane of my existence would all be because of a single person. And I was ready for that.

I just needed to make sure that everything with Carson was good before that happened. I didn't want it to seem like I was completely abandoning him when I found my mate. That'd be a horrible best friend thing to do.

So I started to think of different things we would be able to do tomorrow; just the two of us. Usually the day before either of our birthdays we just spend the entire day inside watching movies and eating junk food. Then when it hits midnight we share a cake. We hadn't actually done that in a couple of years because we kinda grew up. And because this is my 18th birthday my party would be going from ten tomorrow night and go through midnight. Depending on if I found my mate or not the party would just kinda go until whenever.

Smiling to myself I decided that we were going to do that. Even if he refused I was going to make him eat a bunch of food with me. I stepped out of the shower before wrapping a towel around my waist and walking into my bedroom to change. I decided to put on some basketball shorts and a tank-top instead of my usual pajamas. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was almost midnight making my eyes go wide. I didn't even realize how late we'd been training or how long I was in the shower.

I peaked my head outside of my room to see if Carson was crying again and was relieved when I heard his soft snores. With that worry in me at rest, I snuggled into my bed after turning my lights off. As I started drifting off go sleep I heard the rain start to come down making me tense up. I contemplated going over and getting Carson but decided against it because he was already asleep and the rain wasn't too bad so far.

He does know that he can come over for anything. Ever.

Comment
Vote
Add
Share