Chapter 21

Jay^^

Jay's POV

The feeling of the wind through my fur was truly something that I would never get over. I remember the first time I was allowed to go on a run by myself, no parents or adults there to watch over me; nothing had ever made me feel freer.

8 years ago

"Promise me you'll be safe,"

"I will be fine, mom. Nothing's going to happen, I promise," My mom was worried to let me go out by myself for the first time, but I was ten years old! I would be fine and could totally protect myself if some rouge showed up; I had alpha blood in me.

"Don't give me attitude, I don't care how old you are, you'll always be my little boy." I quickly gave my mom a kiss on the cheek before dashing out of the house and into the forest line to shift. The newly familiar feeling of my bones cracking and shifting took over my body as I got closer to my wolf than ever before; it was freeing.

Before I could look back, I was running further into the forest and losing all sense of time. The bright sun-filled sky quickly turned dark as a storm rolled in and the day turned to night.

By the time I got back to the edge of the forest, the rain has already began a steady downpour. I didn't bother shifting until I got into our mudroom and grabbed a fresh pair of clothes, mine were soaked even before I could make it back from deep inside the forest.

"Jamison, have you seen Carson? He was playing in the woods earlier with some other kids," my dad questioned as soon as I walked into our kitchen. His parents both looked panicked and my mom looked just as worried.

"No, I haven't talked to him all day, are you sure he's not just hiding somewhere?" Carson usually didn't go into the woods without me; he was scared a rouge would show up, but I always promised to protect him.

Before anyone could answer, my dad along with Carson's got the faraway look in their eyes they both got when communicating with the pack.

"Alice, go to the packhouse with Jamison and Alayna, now. Get everyone inside the safe rooms, there are rouges starting to invade," Carson's dad and mine ran out the door shifting as the two moms rushed me over to the packhouse and started ordering everyone into the safe rooms. I kept looking around for Carson, but he was nowhere to be found.

Carson was different after that night. I don't even know what actually happened in the forest, all I know was Carson wasn't the same after that day. He jumped when someone closed a door too loud and huddled against me when people started yelling; he never stopped being scared.

My pretty mate began to slow down as we started to cross into the training area, pulling me out of my thoughts. As we started making our way toward where our dads were overseeing, Miles came out of nowhere and tackled Carson to the ground with a painful thud. The two of them rolled around together with nothing but playful growls exchanged, drawing attention to the three of us. Carson let out a painful whine as Miles bit down on his side that caused me to growl instinctively, but before anything else could happen, both Miles and Carson came upon me and brought me to the ground.

The three of us rolled around like we were pups again as Carson and my's dads made their way over to us. When they came to stand in front of us, the three of us quickly shifted with a huff.

"I'm assuming you three didn't come here just to roughhouse with each other," my dad assumed with a slight grin. We all nodded like soldiers before following him back to where he and Sean had previously been overseeing the warriors training.