Chapter 7

The green bottle glinted in the moonlight and it reflected off the two wine glasses that were swinging as they walked. Max had led her out of the house and she'd just followed, now she was wondering if she'd made the right choice.

"Umm...where are we going again?" She asked him.

He turned his head slightly to look at her and smiled reassuringly, "Would you accept that it's a surprise?"

"I would, if we hadn't been walking forever. Seriously, how big is Parker's backyard?"

Max laughed at that," Much bigger than you realize but we're here."

He stopped walking and she looked ahead to find that they'd come to a stop in front of a big tall tree.

"You brought me out here to drink wine by a tree?" She asked him incredulously.

He smirked, "Of course not love. That's way too easy. We have to work for it."

He winked at her before walking towards the tree and disappearing around it.

"Work for it...?" She said questioningly.

He popped his head back around the tree to smile at her mischievously, "Follow the leader sweetheart."

She rolled her eyes as she tried not to smile and she could hear him laughing as if he knew how he'd just made her feel with the utterance of that one word. Sweetheart. She followed behind him quickly and found that he was standing at the bottom of a wide wooden ladder.

He gestured to the ladder with his head, "Ladies first."

She craned her head to look up and wondered how she'd missed this before. Hidden in the branches of the tree was the biggest tree house she'd ever seen. She could see lights shining out of the windows on the side of the house she could see. From where she was standing, she could see that there was a rope bridge strung with fairy lights joining the house in this tree to one not far from it where she could see that another tree house was nestled in the branches.

She turned to Max in awe,"Now THIS is a tree house! I mean, who has a bridge connecting their two tree houses!?"

"Apparently Parker does," Max replied amusedly.

She rolled her eyes at him and started to climb and felt grateful that she'd chosen to wear her leggings because she knew that her ass looked good and that Max had a great view of it. She smiled to herself as she felt his gaze on her ass, or at least she hoped it was.

She wondered for a second, just how he was climbing this ladder with a wine bottle and two glasses but completely forgot about it when she walked into the house. She realized just how right she'd been before. This was definitely a house. Damn, this was almost better than her own house. She walked into the kitchen and from there she could see the living area and the bank of ceiling to floor windows that overlooked the pier that was at the bottom of the backyard.

She felt the temperature on her back rise as Max stepped up behind her," Amazing, isn't it?"

"Yeah," she responded before turning to find his face just an inch away from hers. She could see the flecks of green in his hazel eyes and just how long his eyelashes were.

"Amazing," she breathed.

His eyes flickered down to her lips before flickering back up to her eyes. Her breath stuttered and he smirked as if he'd heard it. He turned and walked into the living room. She stood there for a moment, completely dazed.

"Are you coming?" He called from the other room.

She swallowed heavily before nodding and then realizing he couldn't see it and opting to just walk into the room he was in. When she walked in, he was sitting on the couch that faced the window with his arm over the back and his head turned to look at her. He cocked his head to the side to indicate that she should come over. She shuffled over and sat at the other end of the couch. He raised his eyebrow at her questioningly but didn't say anything otherwise.