Chapter 8

"No," he said as he used his hand to motion that she shouldn't talk, "let me do this, I have to do this."

Taylor stood there, staring at him in disbelief. She felt a little lightheaded, it was as if all the air in the room had been sucked out. She couldn't believe that this boy was really on one knee in front of her with a velvet box popped open, showing off a ring a boy his age should definitely NOT have been able to afford. She had to admit though, it was beautiful. Nestled in the pillow inside the box was a princess cut purple rock on a black band embedded with clear diamonds. She already loved it and knew that it'd look great on her hand.

She was snapped out of her musings when she heard him take a shaky intake of breath.

"I love you. I love you so much it scares me sometimes. I could never have, in my life, imagined that I would feel this way about someone. I couldn't have known that day that I signed up for tutoring that I'd end up sitting across from you and making a total ass of myself because I was so nervous and I definitely couldn't have predicted that when I showed up at your house later with sweaty palms, a half cooked apology and an invitation to a party that you'd say yes. I have never felt as happy as I did in that one moment when you unknowingly set us down the road of the best years of my life. Taylor, I know you're freaking out right now but I can't picture my future without you.  I need you by my side.  I want us to grow together.  The longer we're together the more I find to love and the more I want to spend the rest of my life discovering all of your little quirks and flaws and making sure you always feel loved. We've had good times and we've had not so great times. We've shared smiles, laughter and tears. We share and will forever share memories. I know that we fight sometimes, that I annoy you and you drive me insane. That there are days where it feels like we can't be together but there are also days where we never want to let each other go and I know with certainty that I never want to let you go. That I can't let you go. I know I haven't always been the best boyfriend but I'll spend my life trying to be the best husband possible. So, Taylor, will you make me the happiest man on earth and marry me?"

Taylor felt tears roll down her face as she took in everything he'd said. She remembered all their happiest moments, their highs and lows and she knew that she felt for him what he felt for her. She knew that she loved him as much as he loved her. She could feel that she was dangerously close to just breaking down. She loved him but she was so young, they were so young. It was unfair of him to ask her to make such a monumental decision. One that would change the course of their lives forever. Whatever she decided now would stay with them both forever.

"Tay, babe. You haven't answered me. Will you marry me?" He asked her, breaking her from her musings.

She looked into his eyes and saw the love, the certainty and the fear. She could hear her heartbeat in her ears as she shook her head slowly, mutely as more tears streaked down her face.

"No...Daniel, I'm sorry. I can't..." she broke into a sob at this point and she saw a hurt expression cross his face before it was taken over by concern.

He was on his feet in an instant. Tears swimming in his own eyes, his face a study of both pain and concern. He reached his hand out to touch her but she flinched before he could make contact with her. She saw the hurt flash through his eyes as he dropped his hand and regretted it immediately.

He ran his hand through his hair frustratedly and looked down as he let out a harsh bark of laughter,"I can't even touch you now?"

He laughed again but the sound was filled with hurt and disbelief, "I guess this whole thing was one sided."

He looked up and she could see that he was silently crying. He shook his head and turned to leave.

"Wait!" she pleaded with him desperately, brokenly. "Please, just wait. Don't leave."