иιиє

A few weeks later we received a letter in the mail.
It had "Alexander Hamilton" written on the front, so I brought it to his office. "Father? It's for you."
He shrugged, not even facing my direction. "It's from Laurens, I'll read it later."
It hurt my heart, since I knew Laurens had a crush on him. Nonetheless, I opened the envelope. I unfolded the letter and looked at the bottom. My stomach dropped. "It says it's from Henry Laurens."
"His father," Hamilton whispered, then looked over his shoulder at me. "Will you read it?"
I cleared my throat. I wasn't properly taught how to read, but I tried my best. "On Tuesday the 27th, my son was killed in a gunfight against British troops retreating from South Carolina. The war was already over. As you know, John dreamed of emancipating and recruiting 3000 men for the first all-black military regiment," I said steadily. I looked up, tears in my eyes, then finished the last sentence, "His dream of freedom for these men dies with him."
Hamilton didn't say a word, just stared at the paper in front of him.
I walked over, resting my hand gently on his shoulder. "Father, I'm so sorry... Are you alright?"
I heard a sniff, and a tear fell onto the paper, followed by a few more. I got down on one knee and looked into his weeping eyes. He whispered to me, "I-I have so much work to do."
He stood up and fled the room. I didn't know where he was going, but I couldn't bother following him. I knew he needed time.
I felt something on my shoulder. It was a hand, covered in freckles. I looked up at a shadowy figure. It was Laurens. He nodded at me, then dissolved into thin air.
I fell onto the ground, sobbing into the letter clutched in my hand. Why do the brightest stars burn out the quickest?

a/n
told you it would be short
darn it I made myself cry hNNNG

petunia xx