Part IX

For the first time in ages, Renee slept really well. She could only credit the time with Adam as the reason. Renee stayed in bed for a good little while, just thinking and reminiscing. Unfortunately, she knew she couldn’t do too much dreaming. She knew what Ben was capable of, and it frightened her. She tried not to think about him, though. Adam was kind and he’d understood when she told him about Jaden. She forgot to tell him that this was before she’d become a Christian. She felt guilty for letting herself progress to the point they had last night. The woman that needed a man in the most passionate of ways wanted him to take her to bed last night. Her Christian woman said that she’d gone too far. Should she apologize for letting herself advance to the threshold of no return? She apologized to God for her weakness, and asked for help. Facing Ben would take more strength than she was capable of. Staying chaste with Adam would take even more.

She decided it was time to get up. She washed her face, dressed in her favorite worn-just-enough-to-be-comfortable jeans and a big flannel shirt, and went to the kitchen to make coffee. She turned on the computer to check e-mail, and a panic-stricken fear consumed her. She still had to check. If there were any threatening e-mails, she’d change her address, print them off and take them to the Sheriff’s Office. Evidence was what they wanted. Evidence would be what they received. There weren’t any today.

With a relieved sigh, she went to the kitchen again. The coffee was ready, and the bagels had just popped out of the toaster, when the phone rang. “Good morning, gorgeous!” Adam greeted. “How’d you sleep?”

“Adam, dear, I slept better than I have in at least a few weeks. My thanks to you.”

“You wanna go get some breakfast? I know a great place in Peachgrove that makes the best waffles you have ever had.”

“I’ll be ready in about 5 minutes. Pick me up?”

“Sure thing, doll face. See you then!”

Renee slipped on her socks and running shoes to go with her jeans. She couldn’t believe this. Was this a date?

Adam honked the horn on his truck, and Renee hurriedly locked the door, which, if the circumstances had been different, she wouldn’t have had to do. She ran out and climbed up into the cab. “Good morning!” She leaned over and kissed him, like it was the most natural thing to do and she’d been doing it for a long time.

“Thank you, ma’am. So, never been there, huh? I think you’re going to enjoy this.”

Renee replied, “I don’t get too much time to wander and explore the surrounding areas. Most of my time is spent driving to work, working, driving home, and sleeping. My days off are for chores and errands. I’m off today, thankfully, or I’d be asleep right now. My shift changes soon to day shift, and I am so ready to be on a “normal” schedule again.”

He smiled and turned up the radio. He listened to Old Country. No surprises there. The song was a Kenny and Dottie song: “Let It Be Me.”  She sang along, as she’d been raised on this particular style of music. He looked surprised that she knew it, though. “What? I was raised on this. This is one of my favorites.”

“It’s not that you know the song, darlin’. It’s the song itself. I was thinking about that very thing when I woke up this morning!” She caught her breath. Did he just say that? He just smiled and didn’t say anything else.

She smiled back, and just kept singing along. Soon, they were at the diner, and he hopped down and went around to open her door. Renee just smiled, and let him be the gentleman, as he helped her down. He kissed her soundly, and took her by the hand to go inside.

“What’ll it be?” The country waitress asked. She reminded Renee of the early 80’s show that she remembered being in syndication: “Alice.” She laughed a little and said, “coffee and waffles with cherries and whipped cream, and a side of bacon, please?”