Part XXI

Joe met Max and a security detail at the airport. These guys made Joe’s little team look like children. With a guy hug (the handshake that leads to a shoulder-to-opposite-shoulder, and a slap on the back kind) they greeted each other and Max introduced a team. “Leroy, Jeff, and Paul, meet Joe Holbrook: Battle buddy and one of my closest friends.”

 “It’s a pleasure to meet you! So, what exactly are we doing? Natasha Graves and Amanda Vickers are on board as decoys, though we’re not sure when we will try to pull him in. The rest of our team is on protection, and the S.W.A.T. team is already on board and will be in position on signal.”
Max’s answer was “These guys are here to make sure Jenkins doesn’t try to get too far. They’ll take him down with no questions asked. They’re not afraid to use lethal force. Not that you are, but it’s way more personal for your team, and these guys are good back up to have along. They will also give Vickers and Graves some personal protection should he snatch one of them, following him to wherever he plans on taking Renee. It’s not going to be easy. I don’t want to think morbidly, but I almost expect to have injuries, and won’t be surprised if we lose a few people. I pray that doesn’t happen, but we have to be prepared, too.”

“I will take you to the team. He knows where we are, so trying to be covert is pointless now. He drove past yesterday. He looked surprised to see me! We’re keeping a close watch on Renee and Adam, and changed her appearance considerably. She’s never alone. Adam’s actually at a greater risk where his life is concerned. Renee’s at risk for kidnapping, and he might kill her too, but I don’t think he wants to kill her. He just wants to keep her with him. He will do horrible things to her, I’m sure of it.”

“Let’s get over there and let these guys assess the situation.”