Part XXII

Natasha and Amanda pulled into the mega store parking lot in separate cars. They saw the Suburban the maniac had last been reported driving, but he was not in it. The parking lot was oddly empty for the hour of the day.

“Should we stay together or split up?” Natasha asked.

“I say we split. I’ll go to the food side, you go to the automotive side and we’ll key the button if we need to, and that will be the signal to meet in electronics.”

“Sounds good.”

After about twenty minutes, Natasha’s phone rang. “Renee Alexander.” She never said her actual name when answering while working undercover. “Okay. Thanks for letting me know.” She hung up and keyed the button, signaling Amanda.

They met in electronics and Natasha pointed towards the restroom. She spoke quietly just in case. “Joe called me. Max is here with a three-man security detail from D.C. They’re all former Delta Force and are part of his personal security when he has important visitors. They’re going to be our security detail in case he grabs one of us. They’ll be in the store soon and know that we are wearing Renee’s clothing style. They’re going to meet us in the back part of the store when they get here, which should be only twenty minutes or so.”

Amanda said, “I saw the maniac but he didn’t see me. If he did, he didn’t let on that he saw me. I was going to key when you keyed me. I lost track of him.”

“I’ll let Holbrook know.” Natasha dialed and told Joe all the details she and Amanda had just discussed, as well as their locations in the store.

Natasha and Amanda went back to their “stations” until the guys arrived. Natasha took the opportunity to shop for things they might need. Camping supplies were a good place to start.

Amanda was in the grocery section. She went towards non-perishable items, as they would be safe in the cart for a long period of time.

She looked over her shoulder as she put two boxes of macaroni in her cart, and saw a man standing behind her. She could not see his face, but the build was right for the maniac. She kept walking like she didn’t see him. Maybe he didn’t notice, but she was going to the next aisle to key her walkie-talkie.

A gun was suddenly in her back. “I wouldn’t do that, sweet Renee, if I were you. Just act like we’re supposed to be walking along and you won’t get hurt, okay?” Amanda nodded, knowing that if she said anything, it would give her away. She also knew as soon as he found she was not who he thought, she’d be dead.

 “Push the buggy to one side, and walk out with me, okay?” Again she nodded.

As they were walking out, three men who looked like wrestlers were walking in. She eyed them and mouthed, “Help me” as she walked past, the gun under her left arm was concealed, and no one else would know unless they were aware of the situation. One of the men nodded back. Two went in to find Natalie, and the other waited a moment before following out to the vehicle.

Ben shoved Amanda into the driver’s seat, and climbed in on the other side. Those three seconds were all she needed to do an S.O.S. “Take me to the safe house.” He demanded.

“No!” She refused. He backhanded her. She reached to touch her cheek, and it was hot. “I won’t.” She still refused.

“Look, beautiful. I know you’re not Renee. I’m not stupid. I’ve known her for many years, and in every sense of the word. I know how she walks, how she talks, how she shops, and how she is in bed. You hold nothing to her. You will take me to her, or your body won’t be found. Now DRIVE!”

“You don’t know how she is in bed. You didn’t make love to her, you RAPED her. There’s a difference. She’s not the same Renee you knew in high school, and if you mess with my sister, your body will never be found.” She slapped him back.

“That was stupid. Drive: NOW!” He demanded. Amanda knew he was already angry. Her life was over, but maybe she’d save Renee and Adam in the process. So, she refused. “Woman! You’re about to meet my gun. Turn the ignition and drive the car now.” She finally did as she was told, though she maintained that she would not drive to the safe house. She also saw the truck the other three men had been driving. They were at a safe, not-as-noticeable, distance. She saw three men and a woman behind her. Back up! “Don’t do anything daring. If you try to avoid going to the safe house, you will regret it!”

“No amount of bullying or abuse will make me give her to you. You know that. Adam’s my brother, and that makes Renee family, too! As far as...”

“So his name’s Adam? I didn’t know his name. Well, now it can be even more personal.” He said, cutting off her sentence, with a wicked laugh that promised he would do what he said.

She drove as far and as long as she could before Ben reminded her with the heel of his 9 mil to her shoulder that he was serious. “You injure me, we both die.” And, with sudden boldness, she flung her fist at his jaw, and then down on his arm in an effort to disengage his gun. She’d fought her share of men on patrol as a police officer and she knew how to take him down. Before he died, her husband had also taught her some combative skills. Those were good times.

The gun flew under one of the rear seats. As Amanda saw this she sped up so that he would not be able to retrieve the gun easily. She started her E.V.O.C. driving (training from police academy designed to help an officer drive in any condition and under any circumstance) and the gun flung to the far rear of the vehicle. She could see the pickup gaining behind her. He tried to rise back up, but she punched again, trying not to jerk the steering wheel at the same time. She had him now, though he wasn’t restrained. She could pull the SUV over and arrest him right now. Unfortunately if she stopped, he would gain the advantage.