Part X

Taking a deep breath, Adam turned to Renee and said, “Now what?”  Renee was far away, staring out the window. The realization of what had just happened was sinking in and the adrenaline was wearing off. Seeing Ben for the first time in three years had reopened a wound that was still raw, and he’d just dumped a truckload of salt into it. She didn’t want to cry. She didn’t want to give Ben the gratification of knowing he was getting under her skin. She wanted to scream, yell, hit something, or even shoot something, but she did not want to cry. Adam pulled the truck over on the side of the road, put it in park, and shut off the ignition.

“Ren?” Adam said softly, placing his hands on her face and turning her gaze towards him. “What’s going through your mind?”

“Murder.”

He chuckled, though he knew she was serious. “I imagine so. But, don’t give in to his hate. If you do, he wins.” Renee tore her gaze away and stared out the window. Terror gripped Renee’s heart, attempting to squeeze the lifeblood out of her. He moved to the other side of the truck, and took the firearm out of her hands, putting the safety on, and placed it back in the glove box. He wrapped her in an embrace that was meant to comfort and encourage her.

Renee knew if she looked him in the face again, she’d start crying. But she was too mad and too terrified to cry right now. She wanted to rip that evil huntsman limb from limb. How dare he try to keep bringing her back? How dare he? She should not have to live in fear, running from him, and never quite living a full life. Now she had Adam, and was starting to really care for him and the idiot shows back up. She hit the door hard with her fist. “Ouch!” Adam said nothing, but kissed her hand where she struck the door.

“Let it out!” He whispered.  “You have to let it out. It’s eating you alive, Ren. It’s going to keep oozing, like a gaping wound, and eventually it will take over, slowly killing you from the inside. Let it out!” Adam’s quiet voice reassured her.

Renee took his advice and screamed at the top of her lungs. Even though Adam’s eardrums felt like a subwoofer had blown them out, he held her tighter. She continued screaming with short breaths in between. After a couple of minutes she stopped, put her head on his shoulder, and bawled. She pounded his chest with her fists, and he didn’t stop her. She had to do this. It was part of healing. He knew from firsthand experience, though he’d never told her. He would, someday, but right now they faced a very real, and deadly, threat.

Adam began figuring out a plan of attack and escape that would not require Renee to leave everything behind again, especially him. He was coming to a truth that welled up in his soul: he didn’t want to be without Renee. He didn’t want to give in and admit he loved her, but he did. He wanted nothing more than to spend his entire life making her happy and keeping her safe. Maybe the danger was making him think this way. He held to the Marine’s Motto: Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful. He would be. He would stand by her through this.

Renee quieted after a few minutes and placed her hand on his chest, where she’d just pummeled him with her fists. “I’m sorry! I hope I didn’t hurt you.” Her hand warmed at touching his taut chest under her fingers. He kissed her head, and stroked her back. How did she ever find someone this caring, and why was he being so wonderful about this? Why didn’t he decide to leave right now, and never see her again? It wasn’t worth the risk. She wasn’t worth the risk.
“You didn’t.” He smiled, and kissed her head again. He held her closer. “Now, don’t you feel a little better?”
“Yes, but why are you doing this, Adam? Any other guy, and it’s happened once or twice, would’ve dropped this drama like lightning.” He started the truck again, but didn’t start driving.

“Haven’t you figured out I’m not any other guy?” He beamed a grin that curled her toes with excitement. “I’m not going anywhere. Did you hear me? ANYWHERE! I’m going to help you rid yourself of this menace once and for all, and then, I’m gonna take you out to dinner, and dancing. Then, we’ll see where God leads us.” She had to kiss him. He was such a sweetheart. She wouldn’t say that out loud. He had a “tough-guy” reputation to uphold.

“If it’s straight into your arms, I will be happy to follow.” She moved to the center seat and buckled, then rested her head on his shoulder. He turned the radio back up. A few hours after the first one, another Kenny Rogers song came on: Lady.

Adam started singing. Renee thought he had a good voice. He kept looking at her in short intervals while he sang. “You are a dangerous thief of a girl’s heart, Adam: this girl’s heart. You snuck right in and stole it out of me.”

“I don’t have to steal it. You gave it to me already!” A feeling of warmth and contentment washed over Renee. All she could do was answer him. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. I did. Sorry I called you a thief.”

Turning down a dirt road, he pulled the truck over again. “I think, before we get that fried chicken, I’d like to kiss you again. Is that okay?” She nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck.