Part XX

Renee had never liked coloring her hair, and today was no different, but she did it. It was supposed to come out blonde, but it was more red than blonde. But, even with that, she didn’t look like herself. She put on the clothes that Terry had picked out, but hated them too: a yellow sundress with a white light-weight cardigan over it, a white floppy sunhat with a yellow flower on the front, and white flip flops with a little flower on the thong part of the sandal. She also cried while Terry cut her hair into a bob that came just below her ears. “This is ridiculous. I feel like I’m in witness protection.” Terry hugged her, and apologized for having to do this to her appearance. “I’m glad he loves me for me and not my looks, or he’d probably ask for an annulment right now.” As she was saying those words, Adam walked into the kitchen, where they were putting the finishing touches on her makeup and outfit. “Ren, you know better. You’re still a knockout! If you hate your hair, it will grow back or we will get you some extensions until its back to the way you like it! This is so that we have a good head start on the maniac (which had become the name most used by the team in reference to Ben).”

“And I said I’m not running anymore!” Renee said louder than she wanted to, but didn’t apologize for it. She left the room, not running, but hurriedly, and went to their room.

Adam started to go after her, but Terry stopped him. “Let her be. She’ll come to terms with it quickly. I’ve done it before to escape my own tormentor, though he wasn’t out to kill me and everyone I loved. It’s hard seeing a different person in the mirror, especially if you have made so many drastic changes all at once. Give her a few more minutes and then you can go to her if you feel she needs you to.

Smile, Adam. You have the most beautiful woman by your side, and for once she’s not leaving to keep a man safe. You make her secure. You’ve got a special thing. I’m a little jealous. You found each other so fast, but you two are so obviously meant to be together. I love you, bro, and I love her now. You mean the world to me and Matt, and I wanted you to know that I am so proud of you! Give sis a hug!” He did and almost started crying, her words were so moving. He was not one given to tears, except when it came to those he loved.

They released and he went on to see how Renee was doing. Terry didn’t want to admit to Adam how scared she was for them. She knew they’d make it, but there was a slight feeling in the back of her mind that this could go so horribly wrong so easily. Natalie and Amanda were dressed in Renee’s signature jeans and plaid shirt with white athletic shoes, and hair in a ponytail. Both had colored their hair to match Renee’s color and were close to the same build, though Amanda was a little taller. The idea was that in passing, without close inspection, they’d look enough like Renee to be a decoy. Terry said a silent prayer that it would work.