Chapter Forty Four- Farewells

A few days had passed, as the soldiers slowly packed their ships and readied them to set sail. Kimi and the Commander were the first to leave, promising to keep in touch and extending an open invitation to them all to visit their respective countries.

Kimi was keen to return to her people, and begin peace talks with the Commander, who had been elected before he left as ruler of the Admari people. The house of the Empress had been discarded and the people needed a stable leader who unquestioningly fought for the light.

Eboni joined the others on the shore line, waving goodbye, she could see the fire red hair of Kimi well into the distance, and the looming figure of the Commander who stood behind her. Eboni knew that the Commander did not like the fact he was leaving his fallen soldiers behind, but taking them with them on the voyage home was out of the question. They had talked at length on what the memorial statue should look like, and arranged to meet on the island same time next year.

Eboni felt comfort knowing she would return to visit her friends who could not leave.

Arianna found her and Bren sat in the ground floor room as the second sun rose in the sky. Kas was with Atu, making sure he was well enough to leave the following morning. Iasa was on her father's ship. She had finally stood up to him, and was currently talking to him about her role in their country. Bren was so proud of her when she told him that she wanted to start an educational programme for girls, including physical strength classes. Her father was not as impressed.

Eboni smiled at the acting High Priestess. "How are the Brothers and Sisters?" She asked, knowing that they were eager to return to Gods Land and the sanctuary of the temple.

"They are doing well." Arianna replied, sitting with them. "High Priest Jon has had our ships ready to leave the morning after the battle, he kept telling everyone that the Darkness was gone, that the energy around us had changed. Only us listened, they all wanted to hear it from you before they started packing up.

"When do you return to God's Land?" Bren asked.

"Tomorrow morning, we will leave at first light with the Sherwood warriors " She replied, absent mindedly playing with the golden threads in her newly washed white robes.

"We won't be returning with you, High Priestess." Eboni said, deciding that now was as good as any to let her know.

"What?" Both Bren and Arianna said at the same time, sharing shocked glances before looking at her as though she had lost her mind.

"I know you don't want to go back, Bren. I won't have you give up on your dreams just because you think you're doing right by me." Eboni said scolding him as he looked at her with wide eyes.

"You're going to be High Priestess, I won't just leave you. Not after everything that just happened." Bren replied scowling back at her.

"I don't want the title. I never have. You know me Bren, and you know that Arianna can do a far better job than I could ever do!" She replied

"God's Land is your home!" Arianna said, her mouth agape as she realised that Eboni was serious.

"Of course it is, that will never change. We will visit, I have a feeling that travel between all the lands will become much more frequent. But can you- can both of us- truthfully say that going back will make us happy?"

Bren opened his mouth to reply, before shutting it again as he realised he couldn't reply truthfully.

"Go to Rolezal with her Bren. Follow her. I personally think you would make a great King." Eboni said, laughing as a blush sneaked his way up his neck to his cheeks.

"You know it isn't about that." He mumbled.

"You both really aren't going to come back are you?" They both turned to a very pale looking Arianna.

"No."

"No." Bren agreed, a grin spreading across his lips.

"I am actually going to be High Priestess?" Arianna whispered, as though she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"It was always going to be you." Eboni reassured her. "I was born into the temple, you chose that life. I can choose for myself now. And I don't choose the Sisterhood- I'm sorry."

"But where will you go?" Arianna asked, looking to the both of them.

"I will follow the Princess. Wherever she goes I go. I love her." Eboni smiled as Bren, finally said it out loud to her, grinning, giddy at the prospect of a new life with the woman he loved.

Her own thoughts floated to her own future. She knew Kas would go where she went, he had made that clear. She would do the same for him. Perhaps they would return to Sherwood, help Atu heal and welcome his child into the world. They would certainly go to Rolezal, for a wedding she had no doubt would soon be taking place. Kimi would always welcome them in Cerina, and from the sounds of it- Admari and Cerina would soon be untied once more as Elementi intended it. She also needed to go to Cerina for Raus. To say goodbye properly, make sure his family and friends were ok. She was free now thanks to him, and she owed him to live her life as full as possible.

She had the rest of her life to decide where she wanted to go. What she wanted to do.

"What about you Eboni? What are you going to do?" Bren asked her.

"Everything."

They shared a smile. This was just the beginning, and they knew it. 

The end!