Chapter Sixteen- Eden

They were sailing through the ocean towards Admari, the ocean calm and air warm. Orlan was at the Captains wheel as Bren had disappeared into his cabin once the anchor was raised. Iasa had been placed on her bed to sleep through the journey so she would have her power back by the time they reached land.

Both Kas and Atu were stood on the deck watching the ocean- Eboni realised that this would be the first time they had sailed this far into the seas. Knowing that she was feeling the same as them just over a week before she left them to themselves. They had just lost their mother and begun to fight a cause that would determine the fate of their world. It was not an easy idea to get through your head.

Eboni made her way below deck stopping outside Bren's room, debating whether to go in or not. The door flew open before she could reach for the handle.

"I saw your shadow at the bottom of the door." He said, his voice void of emotion.

"I didn't know whether to let you be for a while." She replied softly. "What that man said- you aren't like them Bren."

He turned and stalked back into his room, sitting on his bed with his head in his hands. Eboni crawled into the bed beside him, snuggling up to his shoulder.

"You are my family Bren. You're the only family I've got. God's Land is your home! Not some island that your family haven't set foot on for generations."

"How do you know that my family haven't been there for generations?" He said looking her square in the eye before pulling back, away from her.

Her heart sank at his gesture.

"One of the books I brought with me was the journal of the first explorer. He travelled to Tozaro just as The Darkness was starting to invade the people's minds." She began to explain, knowing that hiding the truth from him now would just hurt him further. "He met a young girl and she agreed to go with him when he left. Only when they were a few days into their journey he realised that she had brought the Darkness with her. He left her on God's Land, only the High Priest and Priestess knew what consumed her. This was hundreds of years ago and at the time I had no idea that she was your ancestor. I am so sorry Bren, I never kept anything from you knowingly!" She sat up in the bed her eyes wet with unshed tears.

With a sigh, Bren pulled her into a hug. "I'm sorry. This just wasn't what I imagined my family history to be."

"You aren't like them." She replied firmly, "you were taught to love beauty and life." She placed a hand over his heart. "You are my brother, Bren. I love you. You are my protector and my guide. I would never have had the guts to start this journey without you. Elementi put you with me for a reason. Think about it! You are the only person out of all of us who is totally unsusceptible to The Darkness."

"I feel it though. The Darkness. At least that's what I think it is now. Every time I close my eyes or go to sleep, it's always there at the back of my mind. What do I do Eboni?" He pulled her tighter to him resting his head into her shoulder.

"You tell me the moment it starts to get too much for you. I'm here and I won't judge you. For all I know my family history could be even worse!" She chuckled. "I'm here for you, you know that right?"

"Always. Me and you against the world." He replied sitting back against the wall, pulling Eboni beside him.

"But it's not just us two anymore. The others are here for you too."

"I think they're a little spooked, don't you? I mean Atu and Kas- their mother was killed by The Dark Ones and here I am! They don't want me here- I'm their enemy." His voice trailed off leaving them in silence.