Chapter Fourteen- Bound

Kas had brought the group dinner as the first sun began to sink into the trees, casting a familiar warm glow across the sky. Eboni had eaten everything, even finishing up the food the others left on their plates, enjoying the fresh and simply made food. Orlan was still sat by the door, his eyes constantly roaming the village and the people who passed, his mistrust of his surroundings evident by the sharp look that glimmered in his eyes.

Bren had taken to sitting with his back supported by Iasa's bed, unmoving from her side and yet unable to see what she could.

Eboni held no doubt that Bren had started to develop feelings for Iasa. The brief but constant looks of worry he sent her way were not those of just any traveling companion.

They had only known each other a week so she supposed it wasn't fair of her to call him out on him feelings just yet.

Orlan slumped in the doorway, his giant frame curling up to his bent knees, sleep finally catching up to him.

After wrapping a fur around her shoulders, Eboni crept out of the hut and into the village to explore a little.

Most of the people ignored her, some sent her looks of contempt or anger- she couldn't blame them, the last time a group of foreigners came to their land they ended up having a war. Everyone stepped out of her way, as though she carried a dangerous disease.

She caught sight of a friendly face, he was sat next to a large fire, his feet crossed under his body, eyes dancing to the flames in front of him. She watched him for a moment, admiring the power the irradiated from him. She watched as he turned, his back to hers, showing off the tattoos she had glimpsed earlier in the day.

They were stunning, intricate in their detail and yet bold. Five symbols surrounded a large symbol in the middle of his back. A horizontal line sat on his left shoulder blade, a vertical line on his right, down near his lower back was a diagonal line going from left to right, its mirror image on the other side. It was the circle that sat at the top of his spine that entrapped her the most, looking closer she realised the lines and dots of the smaller symbols all came together within a circle to create the large one. It was a work of art.

He turned around under her intense gaze and smiled broadly when he saw who was standing in front of him.

"Come." He said, gesturing for her to sit down next to him.

"Your home is beautiful." She said softly, trying not to show she had just been staring at him for goodness knows how long. She sat, copying his seated position.

"Thank you." He nodded, going back to staring at the fire.

A Man came forward to join Kas, but after seeing Eboni by his side he turned and backed away.

"Do not feel sad, they fear the unknown, not of you." His voice was comforting.

"Everyone is afraid of the unknown." She replied staring into the fire with him.

They sat in silence as the second sun disappeared from the sky and the moon began to rise.

"Even if my brother says no. I will go with you." He said, breaking the silence.

Eboni looked over to him, and saw he was now facing her, his eyes sad but determined.

"I do not wish to bring discord between brothers, but I am afraid for our world if your brother refuses." Eboni uncrossed her legs- they had become numb from sitting on them for so long.

"He knows what he must do, but he has an expecting wife and a small girl. Being away from them for so long will be hard." Kas too uncrossed his legs, laying down on the grass beside her.